What is the point of a helmet peak??

harryharls

I've just bought myself a Gopro to film my fails (and the odd good thing hopefully!) :-) I'd like to mount it on my helmet ideally but the peak of my helmet would be very much in the way of a helmet strap. My question is; what is the actual purpose of a peak on a trials helmet? I could simply remove it and it would make fitting the Gopro much easier. If the only purpose of a peak is to keep sunlight out of my eyes, I'm sure I'll manage just fine without it, especially here in the UK!! Anyone got anything to add about its purpose?

11 hours ago, hillary said:

You should note that the wearing of a camera on the helmet or the body is forbidden in trials by ACU regulations. What you do outside an ACU event is of course up to you.

Why???!!! That just smacks of crusty old blazer-wearing colonels banning anything that wasn't invented in the 19th century.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, feetupfun said:

I don't know the reasons the UK ACU based their decision on, but it is fairly logical that having something like a gopro attached to you helmet will increase the risk of you getting a broken neck

Schumacher

2 hours ago, feetupfun said:

I don't know the reasons the UK ACU based their decision on, but it is fairly logical that having something like a gopro attached to you helmet will increase the risk of you getting a broken neck

More likely fairly illogical. Only the complete incorrect mounting of a camera would cause such an injury.

Also, the ACU only banned them because the FIM did, the FIM have since lifted this ban for approved cameras

Edited by faussy

2 hours ago, b40rt said:

Schumacher

Yup, same reason I could only have cameras mounted to the bike on a recent track day.

I can foresee circumstances where a gopro mount could catch on something during a fall and cause someone to break their neck (though it's unlikely)

I can see a marginal possibility of a camera causing increased injury, but it is a pretty obscure risk. After all, riding a motorbike is dangerous. (Falling off one is even more dangerous :).) Come to think of it, just existing is dangerous. Few of us are likely to get out alive.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

I took a course from Graham Jarvis, and he mounts his GoPro under the visor. I've been using that mounting point for my enduro riding and it works well. I can post a photo of the mount if you'd like

That would be brilliant if you could :-) Thanks