front tubes: regular, heavy duty or Ultra?

pat22043

I'm new to trials. I need a new tube for my front wheel. On my enduro bikes, I run Heavy Duty. What do most folks run on trials bikes?
my guess is that since everything on a trials bike is light, that folks don't use the heavier tubes. Is this right?

Unless I am riding where I know for sure I might get the indicated cactus spike in my tire I run standard tubes in all of my families trials bikes. (3 of them)

If I do end up knowing I my benefit with a heavy duty tube I will put some kind of leek stop in the tire and then bring a spare heavy duty tube with me in case that doesn't do the trick.  Haven't had to used the heavy tube during an event yet but have had a slow leak cause me to eventually change out the standard tube several months after an event with cactus spikes.  

Some statistics that I collected last time doing my tube change:

I think it was original tube from my Beta evo : 900g weight.

Heavy duty tube from local shop  :1100g

Micheline Trials specific tube http://www.splatshop.co.uk/michelin-front-tube.html : 600g.

I have used michelin for about 80 hours now with no problems at all and dont see the need for thicker one.

0.3kg or 0.5kg off from front wheel ( its' rotating mass) is a great upgrade to the bike. 

Edited by klonheadd
  • Like 1

My feeling is most front wheel punctures are caused by high speed impacts between sections.

Can't mind the last one I've had and most would say I've been around too long.

Maybe I run a bit harder than most at 6 psi? anyway you can still ride with a front wheel puncture so no worries.

Edited by breagh