Oops! Bought another bike ...

turbofurball

Had a bit of a ride last night, going to fit a slow throttle tube and a magnetic lanyard, there doesn't appear to be anything else that needs attention right now :)

The plan is for my other half to ride it on the Downland trial, and then it'll be a 'family bike' for green laning and light trials practice (I don't think I could handle it in a proper competition)

• 1 month later...

Update:

Well, I said there didn't appear to be anything else that needed attention ... it made it around the Downloand trial (32 mile lap), and a subsequent club trial, and then I started finding things.

The bike currently looks like this

jKnMY3O.jpg

Engine is being rebuilt by someone who knows what they're doing with new mains (we were very very lucky, it was borderline on complete failure on the clutch side main bearing, bits of the crown/cage were embedded in the seal etc), all new seals, and a large but hidden hole in the flywheel housing patched.  It's getting new swingarm seals & o-rings, rear wheel bearings, all cables, modern shape levers (my other half has little fingers, the stock Amal levers gave her all kinds of pain), a swingarm protector (was missing, chain has eaten the arm a bit), a thorough brake clean at both ends, and everything actually tightenned - hardly any fixings on the bike were torqued down properly at all, I'm glad the engine didn't fall out!

• Like 4

• 8 months later...

19 hours ago, rotors7 said:

Bit of a late one but the hole in the flywheel housing will most definitely have been caused by the cam on the kick start shaft. If you place the kick start, on the spline, too far forward that's the end result :(

When you say too far forward ... I thought it was too far back that I needed to avoid ...?

If the lever end is too far forward in the stored position, the "cam" can go too far around while kickstarting.

I run with the lever a long way forwards but manage the situation by letting my heel hit the footpeg so I dont rotate the kickstart shaft too far. If you lend your bike to other people, this method of avoiding damage to the magneto casing is not recommended because it is all too easy for someone not familiar with the bike to over-rotate the kickstart shaft.

If you pull the magneto cover off and have a look at the kickstart shaft, all will be revealed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Ah ok, dunno why I had that back to front in my head!

I inherited it with a hole, and just put a bit of silicone over it ... I should probably go look at that ...

The silicone I put there 15 years ago is still doing a fine job

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1