Cota 247 Air Box and Filter?

riffraffretro

Apologies for another question relating to my newly acquired 247!

It's a '71 model, with new Amal carb.

I'm trying to determine whether the air box and filter fitted to the bike (see image), are standard, or whether they represent another Heath Robinson'esque bodge-up by the PO! The air box is manufactured from steel, with solid top and bottom sections, encasing perforated steel sides, within which there's a filter, comprising a 'waffled' paper-type element, wrapped in a fine steel mesh - nothing at all like the foam type filters I'm used to using.

I'm unable to find anything similar online (Google search, etc), and wonder if this is something the PO has fashioned-up, or whether it's the original factory set-up.

The airbox to carburetor pipe/ducting is absent in any case, so if I were to retain the present set-up, I'd need to source a suitable pipe - 40mm I/D by approx 250mm in length - any suggestions? Alternatively, I could opt for a cone-type filter (RamAir manufacture a wide range), but question whether these are really suitable for off-road applications, given that they're designed to be used 'dry'.

Again, thanks in advance for any assistance.

IMG_20171106_113928256_HDR.jpg

Edited by riffraffretro

That isn't the original filter set-up, which consists of a roughly egg-shaped alloy casing in two halves, containing a foam filter between two metal screens. There is one on eBay at the moment (from Spain) but priced to set your pants on fire. 

If you want one of the originals I think I have one which I'd sell for a more reasonable price - pm me to discuss if you like.

You definitely wouldn't want the open filter type on a trials bike - the filter needs to be protected from all the snot which gets directed at the engine area.

On 07/11/2017 at 8:22 AM, cleanorbust said:

That isn't the original filter set-up, which consists of a roughly egg-shaped alloy casing in two halves, containing a foam filter between two metal screens. There is one on eBay at the moment (from Spain) but priced to set your pants on fire. 

If you want one of the originals I think I have one which I'd sell for a more reasonable price - pm me to discuss if you like.

You definitely wouldn't want the open filter type on a trials bike - the filter needs to be protected from all the snot which gets directed at the engine area.

If you go to the "Montesa Cota 247" topic you'll see a picture of my bike when I cot it and you can see the pressed steel one for my '75 model along side it. I believe there's supposed to be a curved mesh piece in the opening. I created a separate picture from the original.

MontyAirFilter.jpg

Edited by oldaz
Picture added