Youth Championships - 2018

laird387a

11 hours ago, hillary said:

The idea of having an Elite Youth (only for the best A and a few B riders) and a separate Youth A class in the Acklams series, we hope will result in a greater number of A class riders competing.

When the A class was only available over the Expert route in the Keedwell BTC series, there was nowhere for the less able A class riders to go for a championship. We know of many A class riders who were simply not good enough to ride the Keedwell rounds (even though some did), but now there is a championship for them which hopefully will bring them on so that as they reach their last year in A class they can move up to Elite Youth.

All sports need stepping stones to progress and with this change we hope to provide the stepping stone that has been missing for the past few years.

Completely agree with the logic and the rationale that my son can have a championship where he wouldn't score 5555555335555533 etc

There are many very capable A class riders who need a youth championship

cheers

John

• Like 1

On 11/10/2017 at 7:41 PM, nigel dabster said:

I think you are completely missing the point. There are without doubt A class lads most years who need the top test of BTC. To have a championship as well is only fair and sensible.

Alongside this there are A class who wouldn't do the BTC so I'm sure this will increase overall participation.

Dont think i am missing the point, ive competed in both!!!

Why restrict a youth who is fully eligible to compete in the Acklams age wise, just because he scored a point at the adult round. If they really wanted as many riders out as possible, they would allow all youths no matter what ability to compete in the championship that they wanted, both if they wanted. Pitch the acklams at a lower level by all means, and if the youth elite dont want to bother then they wont, but they should be allowed compete in both. At the moment it just sounds like a championship aimed to force out the good riders so a rider of less ability can win. "Go away, youre too good" kind of attitiude

Imagine a youth who competes at the adult round, finishes fifth out of 5, scores points but cant go to the acklams youth the following week. I thought youth classes were defined by your age, not your ability....

The idea of having an Elite Youth (only for the best A and a few B riders) and a separate Youth A class in the Acklams series, we hope will result in a greater number of A class riders competing.

When the A class was only available over the Expert route in the Keedwell BTC series, there was nowhere for the less able A class riders to go for a championship. We know of many A class riders who were simply not good enough to ride the Keedwell rounds (even though some did), but now there is a championship for them which hopefully will bring them on so that as they reach their last year in A class they can move up to Elite Youth.

All sports need stepping stones to progress and with this change we hope to provide the stepping stone that has been missing for the past few years.

I understand the logic, just think its a tad discriminating on a few riders. Seeing five riders compete in the youth A all year is definitely not the way forward i agree

Edited by faussy

Maybe it's a tad discriminating a few riders but there is nothing to stop riders competing in both.

It seems like w hh at you want is all riders to score points in both?

Why?

Any rider can compete in both events.

If it's trophies you want I've a cupboard full of plastic rubbish you are welcome to.

Ride the events you want.

Compete for what champs you want.

Isn't this what's being done here?

On a slightly wider note Trials has far too many classes which combined with multi route trials makes the whole scene a guddle.

I know the ACU work hard to please everyone but it's impossible.

Anyway I'm away to enter the over 53, clapped out air cooled mono , must live in Fife and have a dog called Breagh class in Sundays Trial.

Just have to decide what route to ride now..

• Like 2

There always used to be the Elite Youth class at adult BTC rounds and they rode the expert class and it was limited to 5 riders but wasn't an actual championship. I am all for the top youth riders having a class at the adult BTC but I think it should be for experience and shouldn't be an actual championship. Maybe even have an option for the youth elite on the Championship and Expert routes as Billy Green etc want to ride the harder stuff so lets give them a chance. At the end of the day it wont do any harm.

I agree with some of the comments that there are already too many ACU championships across the board and this adds another to the mix. The impact it will have on the clubs running an Acklams Youth round is yet to be seen. I personally think that the Acklams Youth championship should be the one where you are classed as champion as at the end of the day the Keedwell BTC is for adults. Just my opinion

• Like 1