Greasing Shock Bearings??

mcman56

Yes, my other half replaced the bearings in her Sachs, the top hats are pressed into the bearing so you have to use a lot of force to remove them.  After trying different things I had the most success with putting the shock in a vice and using two big screwdrivers, one each side, to lever it out.  Maybe there's a special tool I don't know about though, lol

3 hours ago, technowaldo said:

Think they are meant to stay dry it looks like a chromed finish on the bearing surface 

That would be why the ones we replaced were almost solid with rust, then.  Replaced with self-lubricating ones which might last longer, but were a PITA to fit as they have tighter tolerance for the press fit (and new o-rings, with plenty of grease on them to try and keep the crap out).

I've found a lot of the spherical bearings fitted to shocks are Polytetrafluoroethylene (ptfe) coated inside the outer bush with a chrome plated spherical bush in the middle. They're intended to be used dry but eventually the coating wears through, I've been told adding lubricant to these types of bearing can accelerate wear, but once they've worn through the coating there's nothing to lose by adding waterproof grease.