Triumph Cub oil filter

trialsrfun

I use one of these on my 350 AJS in the return line along with a magnet that the oil runs over as it returns into the tank;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PIT-BIKE-INLINE-OIL-FILTER-FOR-50cc-110cc-125cc-140cc-PITBIKES/142237728190?epid=1573555953&hash=item211e077dbe:g:sm4AAOSwUKxYcV0p

Works a treat and I drain the tank,clean then refill with fresh oil. Wash the filter and clean the magnet,then run the engine with the return line running into a waste container until the clean oil comes through. Because the engine is in good shape and the tank is newish the oil stays clean for most of the year.As soon as it starts to discolour I change it, I think its working because the engine is still sweet and doesn't use any oil, I rebuilt it in 2011 and its done alot of work since then.

• Like 3

No, on mine I've stuck it to the vertical return pipe inside the oil tank as its a steel tube inside the ally tank. The idea is that all the returning oil flows down over the magnet,it does seem to work. You can imagine where the pipe goes in above the filter in the pic.

P1150751.JPG

• Like 1

I have one of these fitted to one of my Cubs:

http://www.trialsbits.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=342

Oil filters are from a Citroen 2CV

Mine is fitted under the seat as I'm using an under the petrol tank oil reservoir and foam air filter mounted directly to the carb. 

Among other advantages this filter adds around 1/2 pint of oil to the total volume and acts as a bit of an oil cooler.  It is very easy to obtain and change the filters.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jon v8 said:

No, on mine I've stuck it to the vertical return pipe inside the oil tank as its a steel tube inside the ally tank. The idea is that all the returning oil flows down over the magnet,it does seem to work. You can imagine where the pipe goes in above the filter in the pic.

P1150751.JPG

Thank you Jon and Brucey I am impressed by both filter installations. Each just tucks away on the bike.

Brucey I had an engine breather tube arrangement on my Cub similar to the one you have but have recently added a reducing elbow which fits just below the front of the seat with the duck bill vertically down the seat tube, this should prevent anything being drawn up the breather pipe by the engines pumping action as the flattened tube end allows air to escape but then closes shut again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEFEN-Food-Grade-Nylon-Hose-Push-In-Fittings-BSP-Thread-Hosetail-Pipe-Connector/263052673373?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&var=562055206839&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-ROYAL-ENFIELD-DUCKBILL-BREATHER-PIPE-140167/253233201241?hash=item3af5e00059:g:M88AAOSwSypY~V6o

Couple more questions Brucey & Jon V8 are you both using a multigrade oil, I am running with Silkolene 10/40 semi synthetic in my Cub as I think surely a modern oil in an engine which has been rebuilt and is therefore clean inside, free of sludge and other impurities must be better though a local rider friend suggests that no oil filter and a straight 40 oil would be best?

With the filter fitted does the oil pump fill the filter with oil and push air from the system so no airlocks.

Edited by trialsrfun

I run Miller's Golden Film straight 40 in my AJS, the engine is still clean inside after 6 years of use,the little filter and the magnet do their job well enough.But I change the oil after 6 or 7 trials anyway or as soon as it starts to change colour. My C15 also runs straight 40 in the engine,as filled by Rupert Ratio - he ought to know !

Not sure what you mean by airlocks really, the AJS returns it oil in pulses as its a plunger pump,not a gear pump like the C15 which runs a steady stream up to the headstock.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jon v8 said:

I run Miller's Golden Film straight 40 in my AJS, the engine is still clean inside after 6 years of use,the little filter and the magnet do their job well enough.But I change the oil after 6 or 7 trials anyway or as soon as it starts to change colour. My C15 also runs straight 40 in the engine,as filled by Rupert Ratio - he ought to know !

Not sure what you mean by airlocks really, the AJS returns it oil in pulses as its a plunger pump,not a gear pump like the C15 which runs a steady stream up to the headstock.

Thanks Jon V8 maybe I need to reconsider the oil type but which, there is nondetergent and low detergent in a straight 40 plus others on the opie website.

Edited by trialsrfun