Cota 247 Motoplat Ignition Set-Up... Clueless!

riffraffretro

OK, so in the absence of a spark on my 247, I guess it's time to overhaul the ignition set-up... Motoplat system.

I've purchased a flywheel puller, timing tool (plug type), points and condenser, but being new to the old-school points system fitted, I'm clueless as to how to proceed.

Can someone clarify:

1: Rotate flywheel clockwise to fully open points, as viewed through flywheel 'slot'?

2: Remove flywheel using puller tool, then set points gap accordingly - what is the specified gap?

3: Insert timing tool in plug hole, then rotate flywheel clockwise (loosely refitted), until TDC is reached - then further rotate flywheel clockwise until the required BTDC piston position is reached? What is the BTDC value and how does it relate to the scale on the timing tool - graduated 5cm scale in increments of 1mm?

4: Re-check points and adjust accordingly to achieve correct gap at specified BTDC position?

5: Fit new condenser, then reassemble?

Is that it, or am I missing something?

Thanks again.

Edited by riffraffretro
Detail

Agree with lineaway - with no spark at all first check the condensor and make sure it is earthed to bare metal. 

I had a hell of a time trying to get timing  right with spark advance TDC measure.  Timing disk 21 degres BTDC was the solution for me (see attached).  Points gap 0.4mm .0157 inch  - spark advance on TDC 2.5mm

timing.disc.pdf

• Like 2

Forgot to mention many owners including myself have removed the condenser from the timing area to underneath the tank mounted with the coil.  Much easier to get at ...in my case I just left the old one in situ with wire removed and installed a new one but remember to ensure a sound earth which can require scraping paint or powder coating

Edited by keychange
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm experiencing an issue, and just need a sanity check - should the wire that runs to the live side of the coil read as shorted to earth at any point?

I've got no spark, and as a quick check of my recent kill switch wiring I found this to be the case ... is it a short, or something to do with how the Motoplat system works?