Cota 247 Motoplat Ignition Set-Up... Clueless!

riffraffretro

12 hours ago, riffraffretro said:

If something doesn't give I'll likely torch the thing/set to it with a sledge  hammer!

Well, if it'll help you out I can come and take it off your hands ... I wouldn't even ask for money, 'cause I'm nice like that ;)

Seriously though, you can't be far off at this point!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, turbofurball said:

Well, if it'll help you out I can come and take it off your hands ... I wouldn't even ask for money, 'cause I'm nice like that ;)

Seriously though, you can't be far off at this point!

Ahh, you beat me to it.  I was going to make the same generous offer, but you may be a tad closer....    :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, tried starter spray, but still no sign of life.

I'm guessing it'll need an electronic ignition system to ensure a decent and reliable spark, plus a strip and rebuild to eliminate the possibility of failed crank seals (PO stated that the bike had been stood for several years).

TBH, I've lost heart and with the new season fast approaching will likely turn my attention to a more modern mount, with the option of fixing or breaking the Cota in the not too distant.

Can't say its been an enjoyable ownership experience, but that's the way it goes at times, I guess.

BIG thanks to all at TC for helpful advice and encouragement over the past few months... you're all a credit to the sport and the reason I originally turned-on to trials in the first place.

Have a great holiday and here's to a fantastic 2018.

Thanks guys.

Edited by riffraffretro

1 hour ago, riffraffretro said:

Yup, tried starter spray, but still no sign of life.

I'm guessing it'll need an electronic ignition system to ensure a decent and reliable spark, plus a strip and rebuild to eliminate the possibility of failed crank seals (PO stated that the bike had been stood for several years).

TBH, I've lost heart and with the new season fast approaching will likely turn my attention to a more modern mount, with the option of fixing or breaking the Cota in the not too distant.

Can't say its been an enjoyable ownership experience, but that's the way it goes at times, I guess.

BIG thanks to all at TC for helpful advice and encouragement over the past few months... you're all a credit to the sport and the reason I originally turned-on to trials in the first place.

Have a great holiday and here's to a fantastic 2018.

Thanks guys.

Don't run away with the idea that electronic ignition necessarily guarantees a future free of trouble (I agree it should do but the quality components do not seem to be there).  Once sorted your points system should be fine.  There's plenty electronic ignition woes expressed on here.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

I cut all wires from auxilary stators just in case they were shorting.  

The engine seals would have to be totally stuffed for it not to fire at all.....again compression and leak test would confirm. Likewise timing would have to be out to buggery like 180 degrees.   So almost certainly you have electrical issue causing very weak spark.   There is only a few parts involved, remind me did you replace the coil - pick up a cheapie on ebay.

• Like 1

No coil, but pretty much, everything else!

I've thrown a sheet over it for the holiday and will see how things look come the new year; no appetite for sinking more time and £ into it at the moment.

Its the only bike I've bought as a non-runner in 30+ years (in good faith and based upon the honestly of the seller), but a valuable lesson learned... never again!

https://www.speedandsport.com/index.php/parts/ignition-lighting/ignition-coil/   $18USD - I have one and it works perfectly.  It took me 6 months to get my Cota working reliably, very frustrating but that was 10 years ago and it has been fantastic ever since.  I haven't touched the points since then either.

PS - make sure coil is bare metal to metal earth

Edited by keychange
  • Like 2

Thanks again keychange... I think I'll try a new coil in conjunction with the STD points set-up and see how things go from there.

I'm confident that the timing is set correctly now (feel I could remove the flywheel, relocate the condenser, set the points gap and reassemble everything blindfolded, after 15 pints of Snakebite... I've performed the task that many times!), so feel reluctant to ditch it in favour of electronic ignition, until I've at least, given it a fighting chance.

I'll re-focus in the new year and update then.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Happy 2018 everyone!

Can't believe how time has flown since my last post on the 247 non-start saga - with the 2018 season well underway and the UK weather looking positively Mediterranean (I wish!), curiosity got the better of me yesterday, resulting in me removing the old bedsheet thats been covering the Mont since last November. Feeling a mixture of dread and optimism in equal measure (dread from past experiences and optimism courtesy of Heineken), I've decided to have another crack at getting 'TOBY' (The Old ******* from Yesteryear), started and commissioned for the season ahead.

New ignition coil beckons, failing which, it'll be either an electronic ignition upgrade + rebuild, or electronic ignition upgrade only, depending upon whether it does the trick or not and if it does, how things sound looking in from the outside.

Wish me luck.

Edited by riffraffretro
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...