riffraffretro

Cota 247 Motoplat Ignition Set-Up... Clueless!

Since fitted a new coil and Venhill decompression mechanism... spark still appears weak and no joy with starting (although the kicking process is much less barbaric with the decomp)!

Electrex electronic ignition about to meet 70's Spanish metal - I'll update as and when!

I was considering digging an 8' deep pit out the garden and throwing £20 notes into it - but I'll save myself the hassle and throw myself and the Cota in if the Electrex fails to evoke life (with the Missus filling in the hole shortly thereafter).

Peace!

Edited by riffraffretro

41 minutes ago, riffraffretro said:

spark still appears weak

The spark is weak and that is why plug gap is critical 0.4mm which is much smaller than normal settings.  

Glad to hear the decompressor works ....I wouldn't be without it.

Filled gearbox and clutch with new fluids in readiness for the BIG EVENT (getting the useless heap of cr*p started), only for everything to leak out of various cracks and poor weld repairs in the RHS crankcase!

It seems that the closer I look, the more issues I find... can only imagine the life this poor fella has had! 

That's me and the Mont done... back to being a rather expensive and not particularly functional, garage shelf!

Over and out.

Edited by riffraffretro

Thanks again Keychange, I'll give that a try.

TBH, its going to be an engine strip and rebuild next - I've tried the 'make do and mend' approach, which hasn't exactly proved fruitful, so best to bite the bullet and get properly stuck-in from here on.

Cheers for your help, encouragement and guidance... all greatly appreciated.

Went to take my 247 for a run today and for the first time in years she wouldn't start.  No spark so started working backwards from the cut of switch ...finally removed the low voltage coils and it appears that I have a short circuit to earth.  So it looks like a burnt out coil - strange that it got me home without an issue last ride.  Does anyone know the correct resistance for the coil?