Tubeless Rear Not Holding Pressure After Rebuild

miner

As above.... anything obvious to check?

Following on from my thread about a cracked rear rim on the Gas Gas sub-forum, my wheel has been rebuilt but it's not holding pressure.  When I went to pick it up the tyre was pumped up to 17psi to set the bead on the rim, so I dropped it to 5psi when I went to take it for a short run to check everything, seemed ok.  However it's not holding pressure, been checking it and its going flat within a few hours.  

Rim is going back to the shop but as above... anything obvious?  Checked the tyre, edges of the rim and nipped up the valve... anything else?

13 hours ago, miner said:

When I went to pick it up the tyre was pumped up to 17psi to set the bead on the rim,

Or maybe to make you believe the tyre was holding air.....

At high pressure a badly fitting rim tape is forced against the rim and seals, low pressure less force so it leaks.

• Like 1

mt43 aren't going to set the world alight as the best trials tyre but there is no reason why they shouldn't hold air. Most trials tyres now come marked "TT/TL" ie both for tubes and tubeless - they will create a seal with the rim to hold air.

as many have said above check the rim tape, ideally with a water bath of soapy water (bubbles = leak). I've seen guys go around with the inner part of the wheel with silicone on every spoke top, then strips of duct tape to make a better seal....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wheel back from the shop.... flat overnight again! Leaking at two of the spokes, one quite badly... they'd sent me a video of the valve in the water to show it was ok as well.... clearly not looked that hard for the rest though. 

It's going back again... but any suggestions on how to rectify?