Tubeless Rear Not Holding Pressure After Rebuild

miner

I used 'Plumbers Mait' under the rim tape and and it  has lasted 4 years upto now without any pressure loss. only when I adjust the pressure to suit the conditions.

It's a non-hardening sticky putty, water proof, but it can be removed completely if required. I first tried this stuff for an experiment and it has been the perfect fix for mine and my buddies. Did I mention cheap ? a tub cost me £4 and it has done 6 wheels and still got some left. :D

• Like 2

Plumbers mate, sikaflex or any kind of silicone sealent around the nipples is avoiding the problem and will not allow for broken or re tensioning trueing of wheels.

If the rim tapes is fitted correctly it should work.

NB leaking through spokes is what you can see, there isnt the leak, and the rims were not designed to seal on the spokes.

True Nigel, but it solves the problem for most folk and is not difficult to redo should spoke tension need adjusting.  I can't recall having to tension a spoke for at least twenty years but the tape had to come off anyway the one time I had to get a professional to get rid of a buckle, so no probs to redo the Heldite on the affected spokes.

Do any trials manufacturers still use this type of rim I wonder, surely they all use the flanged type now so the problem will eventually reduce.

5 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Plumbers mate, sikaflex or any kind of silicone sealent around the nipples is avoiding the problem and will not allow for broken or re tensioning trueing of wheels.

If the rim tapes is fitted correctly it should work.

NB leaking through spokes is what you can see, there isnt the leak, and the rims were not designed to seal on the spokes.

you dont put it on the nipples it goes on the edge of the rim tape , read ssdt beta prep !

Yep that's the stuff from screwfix!

I didn't get very technical with it. I just made sure each spoke nipple was sealed and then a thin layer over the well of the rim. Then fitted the rim band squeezing the air out at same time. 

Well this sounds more technical than squelching the rim band over the sticky stuff. :D  

Because it stays soft you should be able to adjust spoke tension without causing any leaks, where as silicon sealant will just tear up and peel off.

i never said it wouldnt work just that if you do a job right there is no need for any silicone.

Having never read Beta ssdt prep @on it i wouldnt know about this but as most are flanged now it must be an old version youre reading?

@2stroke4stroke I ve always got my rims tensioned and trued every 6 months as i like to have wheels spot on down the road, and in the sections.

Maybe a bit over fettling but ive never had a spoke break and the rears can do this on the flanged rims if not looked after (different situation of course)

4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

Having never read Beta ssdt prep @on it i wouldnt know about this but as most are flanged now it must be an old version youre reading 

well nigel since a flanged  rim is NOT fitted with any rim tape and it solid rim ie no spoke holes thought YOU would know which we were talking about !