carb problem

danbillam

the carb needed cleaning on my evo 300 so I stripped it down and carb cleaner and air lined it all jets etc was clear. put it back together and it will tick over but bogs down or dies when revved. 

it will run nere on perfect with the choke on or the air mixture screw all the way in. 

ive stripped it back down a few times and cleaned it again but I'm thinking a bit dirt is trapped beneath the pilot jet which I cant seem to get out? 

do those security torx screws need to come out or is there a specific way to blow through that circuit?

ive got a trial tomorrow and going to have to borrow my dads carb but want to get this sorted asap.

You might have screwed it with carb cleaner and air. The o ring under the tower (torx screws) is not available. You enter at your own risk. You could try just contact cleaner through the pilot jet. There is two holes it should come out . Under the slide and in front of the slide.

1 hour ago, dan williams said:

You have the needle jet thingy upside down. Common mistake. It’s held in place by the main jet holder.

cheers mate I was in the shed first thing this morning I looked at the beta spares and seen the order and already had a feeling it was that. started it up at the trial and ran perfect all day. 

i stripped and cleaned the carb on my '01 rev3 and the next day it kept dying on me, although on tick over and lower revs it ran fine.

after reading the beta carb tweak page i checked my floats and sure enough the little pin had rotated slightly (i'm guessing when i blew air around) and was catching one float (you can see where it was catching the plastic) so i wasnt getting a full bowl of fuel.

When you have the carb apart, take out the float bowl pin (if it hasn't already fallen on the floor!) hold it on a vice and smack one end of the pin. Not to much, just enough so that when you put the pin back in it will stay in place and not move back and forth freely.