Splitting the TL 320 Engine.

chappo

Ok chaps,

Just about to split my 1982 TL 320 for the first time, plenty of experience of Spanish twinshocks but not Rotax motors.

So rather than just go at it I thought I'd canvas opinion about what to watch out for and basics, i.e. which case to leave the box in, etc, etc.

Thanks all.

Blimey, where do I start on this one. Here are my top 5 useful bits of information on stripping an SWM motor.

1. Drain the oil through the circular drain plug(allen key to undo) not the kickstart return stop...this you can leave in place and motor will strip/rebuild with it in situe.

2. Remove the 13mm hex head bolt that sits between the fins on the crank case just below the exhaust port. Stick a thin screwdriver through the hole and slowly rotate the motor....there is a hole machined into the crank shell. If you then get a long M8 bolt and insert it so the end locates in the hole it locks the crank at TDC, and you can then undo the crank and flywheel nuts.

3. With the crank locked and before removing anything, select first gear and you can undo the sprocket nut...dont forget to remove the crank lock bolt before splitting the cases.

4. Invest in a proper clutch holding tool, they are £20 on ebay and will save you breaking the pillers off the plate that the springs sit on.

5. Put the new main bearings on the crank before assembly and build the crank and gearbox into the right side casing. Keep pressure on the inside of the selector barrel when putting the casings together or the tensioner arm will pop out and jam behind it.

Hope this helps 

Martin 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...