Begins and end cards

teamferret

They look good Jon.   Just found one remaining Castrol Arrow in my garage, red with the green Castrol roundel, and loads of nail holes..!

There is a firm called Running Imp that does Big Yellow Arrows, and many other bespoke designs, but they are costly.   I think most Cycle Clubs have to now use these standard types of traffic warning signs at their events.

1 hour ago, jon v8 said:

The Castrol arrows were no problem,Bath Classic paid for them.The attached pic shows what I ended up with,not posh,but they do the job and they were cheap.The Correx board cuts easily with a sharp stanley knife. The,(Kindly donated) fencing wire bends easily around a 2" tube, the double legs mean they can't blow round in the wind and point the wrong way.I think they look OK, they had to be cheap cos I had to pay for them !

P1150752.JPG

The fencing wire legs look good. Something like your "END" card would also work well instead of flags for section route marking. I wonder how simple coloured card would stand up to the weather if painted with a clear lacquer.

5 hours ago, scifi said:

Hi Jon, I am sorry to hear that you had to pay for your Castrol Arrows, we always took them as being promotional material that they gave us.

When I used to cycle for our local push-bike club, we had to only wear our sponsors jersey, and were not allowed by the organising body to wear any commercial names that were not sponsoring us.   Looking at the usual field of riders in local trials, I often wonder why riders are wearing sponsors names, without being paid to do so..  Maybe the ACU should clamp down on this free publicity.

I don't think you'll turn back the clock on that one.  Up until sometime in the late Sixties or early Seventies as I recall, the ACU did not allow the wearing of sponsors logos etc.  I guess it was the need for sponsorship money on a wider scale that changed that.

On 11/23/2017 at 3:14 PM, trapezeartist said:

The fencing wire legs look good. Something like your "END" card would also work well instead of flags for section route marking. I wonder how simple coloured card would stand up to the weather if painted with a clear lacquer.

i'm not sure if coloured card could be lacquered, a normal stationary laminator should be sufficient - hence the sacrificial strip of duct tape to staple up.

Correx or "fluted display board" is available for peanuts - we sell 8x4 sheets of white at work for £8.50+vat (there are loads of other distributors all around). The only limitation would be failure of the plastic form UV exposure over the long term (ie left outside for years), other colours are available (eg orange) but are unpopular (i've whote, yellow and red). The real challenge is cost and difficulty of shipping it (easy to damage). If you were nearby i could give you some offcuts for free to play with.

Several sign suppliers (not me) supply various correx clips if you wanted to cable tie up the back.

Others have used other substrates to make beginners and ends cards, direction signs, etc - common sign substrates such as foam board (aka foamex) and aluminium composite (ACM/ACP/dibond, etc) would also do the job