TY175 - Phase 2 tested!

turbofurball

2qd9c3X.jpg

I got my TY175, now dubbed "Pinkie Pie", back in February but it took until last Friday 'till I got it back into one piece ... and even then only because I was entered into the Downland trial today!  I didn't manage to finish* but did have a lot of fun, and I love this bike :)

So, phase 1 has been Majesty-ised frame, lengthenned swing arm, steeper yokes, fatbar handlebars, Rock Shocks (very plush!), SM and Wes exhaust (very loud!), and lots of little fixed bits from where the previous owner didn't use any grease on anything.  This has taken it from an unrideable turkey (zero back suspension action) to really pleasant to ride - once I got to grips with it it doesn't feel a million miles from my old TXTPro at my level of riding.

Next up?  A kickstand that's the right length is top of the list, but there's loads still to sort!

* 33 stages over 30 miles off road was too much, I've only been doing light practice recently and didn't realise how rusty I've got ... lesson learned

Edited by turbofurball
  • Like 5

Hi

its just a perforated steel guard painted red, to stop mud build up in the head which in the past has lead to mud shorting the plug out

chris ' yam has has 2 years of development to where it is now and a very competitive bike !

cheers

john 

• Like 4

• 11 months later...

Well, it's been about a year, and this is "Phase 2" ...

YHcWsue.jpg

Changes since Phase 1 are Magicals progressive fork springs, forks also stripped and painted and had fresh oil too, carb ultrasonically cleaned and rebuilt with new o-rings etc, gone up one size on both jets, new larger ally air box which was then changed a little to allow more airflow, fibre reed valves, a Shedworks tank-seat unit (it's a Montesa style, with a rough ally tank under a shiny fibreglass cover), and the front sprocket has gone up from 12 tooth to 14.  I've switched from 10w40 to ATF in the gearbox, too, though that doesn't appear to have helped with the sticky clutch yet ... maybe I need to change it again to wash out the last of the old oil (I changed it while the bike was cold)

The net result of all this - it's a smidge lighter (though I've lost a lot of weight this year, which has made a bigger improvement!), the gearing up hasn't overtaken the performance improvement from the airbox, and it pulls better at the low end ... however I am finding I border on stalling it when I want to go super slow in 2nd, so I might drop to a 13 tooth if I have trouble adapting how I ride.

Anyway, it's certainly moving in a more sprightly manner now!

kIV3hDf.jpg

I still haven't sorted the side stand, and the next major change will be rebuilt wheels.  I'll be trying the next size up idle jet too, just in case there's more bottom end to be had.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Ooh, just remembered another change which might be useful to others who are treading a similar route - I trimmed the stator cover so that the front sprocket isn't completely covered.  Any sticky type mud gets jammed up around the sprocket and this just lets it come out easier :) (though it's not been put to the test, yet)