Montesa 349 mh front wheel hub help!

seitzo

Hi there!

I just got a montesa 349 mh and am attempting to rebuild it. now i found out that it is quite the niche model and i'm trying to find a front wheel hub in better condition than mine. I also know that some other hubs from different models might fit the bill but i'm not sure which ones and how much has to be changed in order to make them work.

I would greatly appreciate any help from you guys since i'm kind of lost at the moment. did anybody ever work on an mh and know exactly what i'm talking about? anything helps at this point...

thanks a million and glad to be here!

IMG_8154[1].JPG

IMG_8151[1].JPG

Common failure on that type of hub. It is a Honda hub and good ones are rare, not just because it is a rare model bike, but also because they break). Cota 242s also had that front hub. The earlier Cota 247/348 type front hub can be used and are far easier to find. I've also seen Yamaha drum-brake wheels fitted to 348s and 349s.

Some 349s have narrow spacing between the fork tubes which limits the type of hub that can be fitted (unless you also get a set of wide triple clamps)

• Like 1

The cota 247 hub could be laced into your rim, but make sure you get the one with the correct spoke count. Some are 36 spokes, where I believe you need 40 spokes to suit. There are NOS cota 247 hubs and brake plates for sale online that may do the job. You will probably have to modify or replace the front axle as well.

Might be worth checking a Yamaha TY 175 or 250 front wheel.

• Like 1

I bought a brand new 349 once on the first day of two weeks leave, within an hour of practice the hub shattered.

The local trials shop laced a new one up the week after but all the spokes came out of the rim at the wrong angle.

Another week went by and Sandifords put it right.

A whole two weeks of freedom with no trialling, it was depressing :(

So on that note if you'd like to send it to me I would love to vent my anger out on it with a sledge hammer !

Edited by rotors7
  • Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi fellows. 

We are in the same predicament. As the bike arrived in a parts we are having a hard time figuring out the correct spacer, washer order combo on the front hub. We also have a speedo to fit. 

Any pictures or diagrams would be great. The parts Manual we have is not too accurate. Thanks.