Sherco 125 shifting problems

scorpa175

New disappointed member here with a shifting problem question.   I'm afraid I already know the answer but here's the deal...

Bought a used 2010 sherco 125 2 stroke on craigslist.  Putted around in first and second but didn't want to get too carried away in the sellers neighborhood so i just figured all was well.  The bike is pretty rough cosmetically but the seller assured me it ran just fine...

Anyway it shifts just fine 1st to 2nd and back down 2nd to first but will not shift through 3,4,or 5.  To get into any higher gear from second I have to kinds like gently shift back down to the center position (without actually downshifting) and then I can upshift.  I've had a few mx bikes and never ever have had any shifting issues so it wasn't really on my radar...buyer beware I guess!  But anyway does that make any sense?  Shifts normal between 1 and 2 both ways but then hangs up so to speak and will not return to position to allow another upshift.  No problems finding neutral, it's definitely not clutch drag, and you would never know there was a problem until you want 3 gear or higher.  I'm bummed big time and its been a long time since a been suckered.  I was lied to buy this kid seller but its my fault and obviously I bought the bike as-is.  Anyway I've been scouring the web hoping for a break, but I'm sure afraid the repair is gonna be more than the bikes worth.  I can do a top end buts it's definitely beyond me to split cases...

Any ideas or suggestions? Or anybody ever hear of such a problem?  Thanks.

Edited by scorpa175
Spelling

Before you do the above...

A few months ago I fitted a new Apico gear lever on my Sherco 125, after I had bent the original.   I fitted the gear lever onto the gearbox shaft splines, then rode it around the garden.  I could only select neutral, first and second.   I could not get 3rd, 4th and 5th.  When I looked very closely, I could see that the lever was hitting against part of the crank case.  I repositioned the lever one spline lower on the shaft and all was ok.  So, check that the lever arm is not hitting the crank case before you pull anything apart.  

Edited by stpauls
  • Like 1

Good advice Stpauls and I wish it where that easy!  That's the first thing I checked for...good thinking!  I've had the same issue aswell on an old rmx250 I had with a goofy skidplate but didn't like to downshift.  I'll tear into it and can only hope it's the return spring.  I now know that I paid too much for the bike anyways so if it's much more involved I'm afraid it's a parts bike.  The closer I look and fix all the little things this poor bike is marginally worth fixing and the parts list is still growing!  I must have really had the blinders on!  Live and learn...

Thanks...Happy Thanksgiving everybody!

• Like 1