Evo 300 4T Clutch

trapezeartist

I've done the "Beta clutch fix". I've roughed up the steel plates with P80. I've changed the oil to 10W40. Still I have bad cold stick, and worse, the clutch is quite draggy for the first five or ten minutes so I have to do a lot of riding around to get it fit to use.

The only thing I can see left to try is to put in new friction plates. At the moment all the plates are the same 3.0mm thick which I think is standard on a 4T. Right? So the possibilities are

1. New set of six 3.0mm plates
  2. Some new "thin" plates as on a 2T. Would they fit? Would it help?
  3. A new set of Surflex plates. Any better? Any different?

I'd love to hear some opinions before I make the next decision as I'm getting a bit bored with taking the clutch apart.

I have had 12 Beta`s before my current 2016 factory and they all had cold stick. My new evo  does not. But the front brake M/C on my`16 is a POS. That`s another story.

You could sand down the existing plates to see if that helps before buying a new set. That became common practice on the Gasser clutch issues. The clutch hub has no notches worn in it? No plates are warped? Steel plates are actually directional as they have a round side and a sharp side, might make sure they are all in the same direction. Still could be a crappy M/C like my front brake, just pumping up with use.

I still have not seen another stick badly. I just replaced a shift shaft on a 2017 300 4T Saturday. Everything inside sure is nice and neat. Of course it did not drag at all.  

I had the same problem in my '16 300 4T.  Did the 'clutch fix' but it did not helped so much.  So, in a moment of fool, I mounted a set of sherco disks I had around.  The sherco ones are 1 mm less in diameter but fitted very nicely.  Filled with 10w40 to the right level and, so far, very happy with this set.

Maybe I'll get a early wear basket but... I can machine a new one to get the sherco disks properly fitted then.

Cheers,

JM

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

Get a 4RT:lol:

I'm not that desperate. :lol:

2 hours ago, lineaway said:

I have had 12 Beta`s before my current 2016 factory and they all had cold stick. My new evo  does not. But the front brake M/C on my`16 is a POS. That`s another story.

You could sand down the existing plates to see if that helps before buying a new set. That became common practice on the Gasser clutch issues. The clutch hub has no notches worn in it? No plates are warped? Steel plates are actually directional as they have a round side and a sharp side, might make sure they are all in the same direction. Still could be a crappy M/C like my front brake, just pumping up with use.

I still have not seen another stick badly. I just replaced a shift shaft on a 2017 300 4T Saturday. Everything inside sure is nice and neat. Of course it did not drag at all.    

The hub, basket and tabs are all in perfect condition. Plates are flat. I didn't know about the plates being directional I'm not quite sure what you mean by round side and sharp side but I'll have a look. I might have a go at sanding the friction plates as well, to see if I can clean them back to fresh friction material. And before all that, I'll try pumping the clutch to see if it is a hydraulic problem. That will be easy as no disassembly required to test it. I'd love it to be that, but judging by the way all the plates came out last time almost glued together, I'm not hopeful.

1 hour ago, jm_ said:

I had the same problem in my '16 300 4T.  Did the 'clutch fix' but it did not helped so much.  So, in a moment of fool, I mounted a set of sherco disks I had around.  The sherco ones are 1 mm less in diameter but fitted very nicely.  Filled with 10w40 to the right level and, so far, very happy with this set.

Maybe I'll get a early wear basket but... I can machine a new one to get the sherco disks properly fitted then.

Cheers,

JM

Perhaps this confirms that new friction plates could be my solution. Sherco v Beta is probably just a dimensional difference rather than material, I imagine.

Hi,

Sherco's disk are made from a different fiber than Beta ones.  Beside the dragging, I had a bad hot sticking (when riding and clutching, they take a fraction of second to free the wheel).  I did not feel the problem until ride mi GG side to side.   When the problem was resolved, the bike was really fantastic to ride, very smooth in the clutch in/out actuation.  As trade off, I now have a little rattle in the clutch basket due to the 1mm less in diameter of sherco disks.  This rattle will develop a premature wear of basket tangs but, until that moment, I'll enjoy the bike.

Cheers,

JM

shdis.jpg

betadisk.jpg