thurlestone quarry barnsley

danbillam

theres a trial sunday at thurlestone quarry and I haven't rode there before. ive been trying to find out what the access is like to the venue but had no look.

on google maps the road up passed the houses from the bottom looks quite tight and narrow. is this the case or is it fairly wide?

the reason for asking my dads not got a cheap van yet for riding and as you will all know a lot of venues have terrible access. and I don't want him to drive up in his good van and not be able to get up there without any scratches.

thanks 

It is a narrow single road.up to the Venue but you should be ok tight turn in to the parking area.I should try and get there early if possible not the largest parking area.

Edited by bilks
more info

12 hours ago, bilks said:

It is a narrow single road.up to the Venue but you should be ok tight turn in to the parking area.I should try and get there early if possible not the largest parking area.

On google maps it looks like you can come down from the opposite way and theres no trees etc.

50 minutes ago, danbillam said:

On google maps it looks like you can come down from the opposite way and theres no trees etc.

Trust me you wont make it unless you are in a 4x4 and its been lifted. Its a farmers track from the top. Being a local lad from that area I can say you could park carefully at the top crossroads and ride down though.

14 minutes ago, teddybattye said:

Trust me you wont make it unless you are in a 4x4 and its been lifted. Its a farmers track from the top. Being a local lad from that area I can say you could park carefully at the top crossroads and ride down though.

Is that on the opposite side of the venue or top end of the road? I think it should be ok up the normal road 

3 hours ago, danbillam said:

Is that on the opposite side of the venue or top end of the road? I think it should be ok up the normal road 

that's the opposite side of the venue. if you approach it from the penistone end you go up a narrow road to the quarry, if you come from the Hepworth/birds edge side you will need to park at the end of the farmers track on the crossroads somewhere

20 hours ago, bilks said:

I see you made it danbillam and 1ist place nice.

cheers mate yeh loved the place will definitely ride there again. 

its all coming back to me nicely now from a 14 year break ;)

had 2 firsts and a second in the last 3 weeks. 

did you ride mate? I'm off to rough heys on sunday then doing eadonsfield the week after.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bilks said:

Yes Dan was observing at Grimethorpe also.

i won the 50/50 there aswell lol. 

have you done much with Huddersfield club or rode at Holmfirth? 

I'm not sure wether to ride there, Pegasus at grantham or Macclesfield at rough heys quarry.