Sherco bikes of the last 10 years;

mink_man

I have loved this sport since about the age of 12 coming from bicycle trials. I got my first bike when i was 14, a broken Fantic 305 for a very reasonable 300 pounds fixed it myself and rode it untill i could get my next bike. A sherco 2000 Sherco 290, loved it rode it and rebuilt it and i wish i had kept it but coming of age to own a car the sherco was sold and i had little to do with the sport other than being a spectator at a few trials.

Now i have settled a little and cant stand being hungover every weekend i wanted to come back into the sport and i had the lust i had to ride again like when i was 12. I now ride a 2005 Sherco 250 now and im loving it.

My question is, Is sherco still the brand they were when i was young? i see in 2010 they put the tank in the mudguard, was this a bad turn for them? Is their newest fleet of bikes strong?

they Just don’t have the build quality of other brands , when gas gas folded for a short while a lot of people jumped over to sherco then got rid straight away , eBay is flooded with sherco’s going cheap ,the 14/15/16 factory models came to the uk with the wrong cylinder head fitted with too high compression which made them run like a pig,I don’t know about the newest models ,the stickers seem to peel off very easily and I have heard of frames cracking on the 2010 to 2015 models ,saying that they are still quite popular and all bikes have. There faults and weaknesses

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hgas said:

they Just don’t have the build quality of other brands , when gas gas folded for a short while a lot of people jumped over to sherco then got rid straight away , eBay is flooded with sherco’s going cheap ,the 14/15/16 factory models came to the uk with the wrong cylinder head fitted with too high compression which made them run like a pig,I don’t know about the newest models ,the stickers seem to peel off very easily and I have heard of frames cracking on the 2010 to 2015 models ,saying that they are still quite popular and all bikes have. There faults and weaknesses

Yes i know what you mean about uk ebay being flooded with cheap Shercos, i was really shocked at the prices and the quantity of them on there. Trials here in germany isnt big scene, they are much more enduro motorcross types so trial bikes are hard to come by. However we found a 2005 250 sherco for 1500€ ended up putting 400€ into it (engine rebuild & some little bits here and there) and its really great now. Actually, it needs tyres and then it will be a minter. Are the newer Shercos running a normal dellorto or injected carb these days?

10 hours ago, mink_man said:

My question is, Is sherco still the brand they were when i was young? i see in 2010 they put the tank in the mudguard, was this a bad turn for them? Is their newest fleet of bikes strong?

The 2010 model was a howler, I had one....and a 2012, which was a better bike but still that terrible rear tank design and as for trying to get the airbox back on the carb...OMFG, drove me insane. I know not of what they speak in the post above about the 14/15/16 model but from recollection it was only the 15 factory model that ran like a pig, though possibly the 15 model in general. I have heard no stories of the 16 running poorly and I have a 17 which is perfect, unlike the pilot. 

I wouldn't touch the 10 model with a bargpole, through choice I wouldn't buy anything from 10 - 15 purely based on the rear tank, absolute rubbish idea, also the dings the bottom yoke put in the upper frame really was a terrible design, 16 onwards has tank in the usual place upfront and no issues with yoke dinging the frame.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cabby said:

The 2010 model was a howler, I had one....and a 2012, which was a better bike but still that terrible rear tank design and as for trying to get the airbox back on the carb...OMFG, drove me insane. I know not of what they speak in the post above about the 14/15/16 model but from recollection it was only the 15 factory model that ran like a pig, though possibly the 15 model in general. I have heard no stories of the 16 running poorly and I have a 17 which is perfect, unlike the pilot. 

I wouldn't touch the 10 model with a bargpole, through choice I wouldn't buy anything from 10 - 15 purely based on the rear tank, absolute rubbish idea, also the dings the bottom yoke put in the upper frame really was a terrible design, 16 onwards has tank in the usual place upfront and no issues with yoke dinging the frame.  

All good information, thanks alot for that cabby. Im going to stick with this 2005 for few years i think, i like the look of it and the way it rides. I just need to be able to get as much training as possible done! Need to true the wheels next week too!

One other thing to be aware of...(not Sherco specific) some of the newer bikes rear rim can only fit certain brand tire due to sizing issues:facepalm: RYP has a good video clip on how to ''properly'' wrap several layers of aluminum tape around the rim to get tires to fit successfully....You can find subject threads on this site

Speak as you find

my son had a 2015 125 that took some hammer including the mintex this year and it never missed a beat !

bought it very cheap at just under a year old  - ran it for 18 months and lost £400. Running costs were regular maintenance only

csnt complain at that really.

saying that he's on a beta now tho !! Ha ha

cherrs

john

I think you are being a bit hard on Sherco.

The 2007 to 2009 models were well sorted and in my experience reliable.

The back tank design 2010 to 2014/5 were innovative but perhaps not the best approach in retrospect.

The newer Scorpa (post 2015) made by Sherco with Sherco engines etc are fine (including stickers) so I don't imagine the newer blue ones are any different in quality.

• Like 1

I went to Sherco after my 2013 Beta Evo developed the Beta habit of jumping out gear, due to the gear selector fork being too thin (well documented in the "Beta" section). I was also fed up with the glass mudguards, which cost a fortune and the "stickers" which didn't.  Refitting the airbox on a rear tanker is just a knack.  It helps if you put a spot of oil/grease on the carb outer and the airbox inner.  The fuel pump is old technology that is reliable and trouble free - commonly used on garden lawn mowers, chainsaws and other such kit.  Lower yokes hitting the frame are simply remedied by fitting a piece of plastic conduit as a guard, as the Sherco guard is of a poor design.  

All trials bikes have their good and bad points.

Edited by stpauls

• 4 months later...

Oooh, Errrrrrr!

Am looking at a 2015 Sherco 250 and this sounds a bit mixed! I liked the sound of the petrol/air filter swap, mass centralisation and all that, plus intake well up high

Is it quality control or fundamental design problems?

Thanks

15 minutes ago, v1nn1e said:

Oooh, Errrrrrr!

Am looking at a 2015 Sherco 250 and this sounds a bit mixed! I liked the sound of the petrol/air filter swap, mass centralisation and all that, plus intake well up high

Is it quality control or fundamental design problems?

Neither. A three year old bike is governed a lot by its use and its maintenance and even the number of owners sometimes. I have personally had several Shercos although I avoided the back tank models. My 2016 Scorpa is made in the same factory with the same components and is first class. Personally all my (2003, 05 and 07 all new) Shercos were fine construction wise, with no issues. A 2015 Sherco is the first year of the 'normal' design again. It has the slightly irritating but normal Gasser style air filter fixing screw (tail on a donkey) now thankfully changed on the latest bikes. I think the engines are pretty much bulletproof with a bit of normal care ie filters oils coolants etc..

• 1 year later...

I picked up an 07 Sherco and it has what must be the cheapest, thinnest front brake disc guard on any bike. Literally crumbled in my hand like crushing a styrofoam cup. Granted 12 years old, but I remember new ones breaking easily.