thinking of returning to trials

aevans692

Hi all 

I'm pretty new to the whole forum thing, but thought it would be a good place to pick up some helpful info ..  

so I did a bit of riding about 16 years ago, I really enjoyed being off road and started to pick things up pretty fast , but for one reason or another , I ended up selling my bike , and moving to the road ..   

Well in the past few weeks , or so I was showing my son some old photos of me going over a few obstacles ( he is only 9 ) and I was talking to him about trials , one thing led to another and before long we was watching youtube , I even made him watch a few rounds of kick start .. lol..    

anyway, to cut to the point , since then I have been thinking of getting another bike , and maybe some time down the road , pick something up for my son, so came across this site and thought I might be able to pick up some useful tips , info for a returning rider ....  

Cheers Andy  . .  

I'd strongly recommend getting your son started first on an electric bike, if you are in the UK there's events most weekends throughout the country.  After a year or so he'll be able to do beginners adult trials and maybe more and then you can join him.  At 62 yrs old, did the same with my Grandson and we are having a great time.

Hi .. 

Yeah I will have a look into that , are the electric bikes any good , they wasn't around when I was riding ..  

we are about some weekends , mainly sat , as my son plays ice hockey sunday morning done by 10am tho  ..   I'm guessing joining a club is the best way forward when getting starte, It would be nice to have somewhere to practice during the week , as I'm about a lot during this time , would be nice to put that time to good use .. :)  

What ever you do DO NOT GET YOUR SON IN TO THE SPORT, he'll be kicking your a*** within a year, it'll be so disheartening, you'll probably stop loving him and start hating him, he'll be kicking dirt in your face as he wheelies over you using you for grip then laughing at you as you struggle over the simplest section while he does it all on the back wheel, then he'll find wine women and song and you won't see him for ten years, enjoy.  

• Like 7

If he sticks at it it will consume you for the next ten years, every weekend for 9 months of the year. Although it'll all depend on how much ice he gets, I was fortunate mine was pretty good, other parents had to suffer watching their kids sitting on the bench for most of the 60 minutes, brilliant sport though. 

For your son, he will have to abide by the ACU rules, something about wheel size and engine cc.  They used to give us the ACU and FIM Handbooks many years ago, but I suppose you now have to find that info on-line.  

Some clubs have practice zones (ours does.), but there is no real substitute for riding the events, starting with the easiest routes first.     The electric bikes are really good, and they do an adult version..!

we went and looked at some bikes today , My son didn't seem too interested .. :( I think maybe after I have my bike , he might think diff..  

I saw a few electric bikes , tho I think they look good for the kids , they are not cheap and I cant help thinking that they don't sound right lol...