Sherco 160/200

stpauls

7 hours ago, stpauls said:

I wonder why Sherco (and Gasgas) don't make a 160cc or a 200cc bike any more?  Beta do.

I can imagine manufacture cost and their market research probably found there was no substantial profit to be made? 

I’m not an expert, just what I imagine is the case. 

The Sherco 200 was only 162 cc and I think the Gas Gas was about the same.

Had they been genuine 200 cc they would have been better for the more novice adult rider who I assume they were aimed at (like me), and in turn that might have increased the market.

Beta seem to keep a 200 going but I was told only for the UK market, is that true?

Having owned a '17 Gas Gas and '17 Scorpa 125, I can tell you that they are much more powerful than older 125's. The '17 Sherco/Scorpa motor is way better than the '06 Sherco I've ridden.  The gap between the 125 and the 250, that the 160-200 filled is less relevant now and manufacturers don't feel a need to build them.  Beta is the exception, Like KTM was for years on the enduro side with a 200.

As a 60+ novice, it was suggested that a 125 would be the best entry level bike and I agree now after a year and a half of riding.  I switched from GG to Scorpa, only because the GG Pro motor was difficult for me to start with my hip and knee problems.  Scorpa is easier to start and the bonus was that Scorpa 5 speed gearbox works better on a 125, than the GG 6 speed dual range. 

• Like 1