New bike

victor

Hello all,

I'd like to build a pre-unit trials bike and am looking for any help and info on what would be the best way to go in regards to what make and parts to start hunting down. I'd prefer something either Ariel or AJS based but could consider others such as Triumph twin or Norton.

So any advice on suitable engines, frames, etc. that are sometimes available (for not stupid money) would be greatly appreciated. I am not on a budget as such but neither would I want to pay a kings ransom for every part and end up with a bike that wasn't worth half of the build cost. I may as well just buy a nice bike to start with, which I would do but they don't seem to come up for sale very often, hence the thoughts turning to building one.

I have been riding classic scrambles for nearly 50 years but it's starting to hurt when I fall off now so even though I'm sure I'll still fall off in a trial at least I wont be going as fast.

Thanks, Victor.

• Like 1

If at all possible its always cheaper to buy one that a trials bike already as most of the bits will already be there. Then you can rebuild or modify from a good base. Converting a road bike or building it the Johnny Cash way "One piece at a time" will always cost more and take longer.

Worth looking at the Yorkshire Classic and Vintage Club websites for sales and wanted.

Whatever you decide good luck.

• Like 4

OTF's advice is spot on,I'd go further and suggest you buy a twinshock,ride as many trials as you can and chat to people while there. Many bikes are changing hands,but are never advertised,they are sold amongst riders who natter while waiting to go into a section,or while waiting for their bacon butty and cuppa at the car park field. Or if you see a particular bike you like,ask the owner for first refusal if they ever decide to sell it. The twinshock will keep you going and keep you amongst the right people until the right bike comes along.It took 2 years after asking to be offered my rigid AJS, but it was worth the wait.

• Like 6

Thanks OTF and Jon, sounds like good advice.

As for a twinshock it would still need to be a proper bike with right hand gear lever, I think right foot braking would be too much for my brain now. I'm also a 4 stroke man at heart even though that's going to narrow the search quite a bit. I'm sure cub's are quite capable but look a bit small for my + size so then onto C15's or 250 Enfield or something like that.

I did actually look at a couple of C15's a bit ago but up close it was obvious they were home converted road bikes and not that well done, hence the thoughts of building my own and asking for advice on what parts to look out for.

I'll start having another good look for a suitable complete bike, even if it wants tidying or whatever.  Also if anyone knows of anything that might fit the bill I'd appreciate a heads up.

Thanks, Victor. 

• 3 weeks later...

Everything costs so much now and a 4 stroke road bike converted to trials trim would probably mean looking at a pre 1960’s bike or earlier as most trials versions of the then road bike were merely versions of the road model. I am looking at obtaining a 1953/4 350 AJS road bike two are advertised at around £3500 but the same machine as a Trials bike is nigh on £9000+. You are probably just as aware of the current state of affairs with older bikes rocketing in value ( perceived or otherwise). As you are coming from scrambling/mx due to ‘it hurting more’ in an off it’ll hurt just as much in spill! The Cub and C15 are a good bet but pricey. Converting a bike from road to trials or even scrambling would be absorbing and rewarding but the cost as others have pointed out wil be restrictive unless you’ve just got 5 numbers and the lucky stars. If you go for a Trials bike check all the mods that have been done and make sure of the legitimacy for acceptance into the various classes. Hope you get what you want. You might also consider a BSA B40 the extra umph may help with the erm body weight? Bear in mind if you get a pre-unit bike it won’t be much lighter if any than a similar scrambles machine.

Edited by section swept
Typo error and additional sentence.
  • Like 2