ty 125cc on road

It's not too hard if it was sold new in the UK, you need NOVA clearance for tax purposes and then to apply for a new reg - I got help with the paperwork for a fee which was well worth it!

Note that not many TY125s were sold new in the UK though, so you'll want to get the frame and engine numbers and look them up before going further - it may get tricky if it's been converted from a 175, especially if the frame and engine don't match.

Make sure you can get a dating letter from the frame number first. Don't bother getting MOT's etc until that's sorted although no harm in ordering the forms you need like the v55/5.  The dating  letter will have to come from Yamaha UK as the DVLA will only accept dating letters from the manufacturer if they are still in business.  They will make a small charge.  Without it you will have to have a "Q" plate which doubles or triples your insurance.  The rest is easy, Almost the same procedure for any older bike.  If you google your find 1000's of posts with advice on it. 

The only thing that differs for a trials bike is most have the MOT on the frame number without lights so that will be an advisory on the MOT paper work which is not a problem. 

On the V/55 form "Type Approval" question put "Exempt".  The reason is "TRIALS BIKE" or it will be rejected. You could put "enduro bike" or "over 10 years old" as none require type approval.

Some bikes will be selected for inspection by the DVLA. Someone comes out on a arranged date. They will only want to check frame and engine numbers.  If they are not clear or look iffy again it will be rejected for any type of registration.

Edited by gasserguy

Hi thank you for this its very helpful .i Think the bike may  have a different engine number as I no the  engine case was changed  how will I get on with that. Also the engine was originally a 175 cc now been changed to a 125 cc so maybe I can use it on the road is there a way to do this thank you mark very  greatfull.

Edited by mark ty 1111

• 2 weeks later...

if the engine and frame no. do not match i think you have only two choices, either register on a Q plate as described above or find a frame which already has a V5

i went through this recently with a japanese import enduro, the engine had been changed over there so kawasaki would not give me the paperwork i needed for an age related plate