Need advice

mustafa

Hi to all, I am Mustafa from Istanbul Turkey. Literally there is no trials riding here so I had to look abroad. I've been riding different types of bikes for ten years. Last bike was a motocross (before stolen) but I actually didn't like the idea of speeding in dirt or forest. While motocrossing, I was more into observing the terrain or going slow through stuff. So after the theft of my bike I asked myself why not a trials bike this time. I never had the chance to try one, and there are only two bikes on the sales list (yes entire country) which are not even in my city. So in these circumstances I have three choices; 1-gas gas txt pro250 (cylinder head changed to 300 with an s3 cap), 2-2012 sherco 125 (pretty expensive for a second hand by the way) 3-Buy a new one (most expensive choice, and they import it after taking the money)

I really need your holy opinions on this choice I have to make. My trials experience is just the youtube videos and unfortunately there is not a single person to teach me here. 

1-Should I be worried if I can make it by myself or not?

2-Gas gas seller has been playing with the inner organs of the bike, I think he likes the mechanics, last time we talked he said he heard some voices so decided to change the crank bearrings. He says the bike is solid but I am always cautioned with these mechanics type people. Don't want to end up with a tired junk. What do you think?

3-Of course best choice is buying a brand new one but with a high cost. In moto trials, is it pretty important for the bike to be new?

Thanks a lot

Like any group of random people, not everyone on this forum behaves the same.

Why not import a used but not very old bike from another country?  Cheaper than new, more choice (unless you have 100% import taxes, like Iran)

For what it's worth, if you have interesting places to ride a trials bike can be good fun, even if you're the only one doing it :)

• Like 1

We're certainly spoiled here in Scotland  but I would swap you the weather.

I really wish I could give you some decent advice but I really don;t know what to say.

As there's no Trials scene out there would a specialsed trials bike be needed could a Trail/Enduro style bike be adapted for basic trials use?

I really don't know.

As for your limited choice I would plump for the Sherco only because they're a bit more basic than the Gas Gas so easier to repair but that's just an opinion.

As for riding my only advice is take it slowly and learn the basics.

Hope it works out for you.

Cheers the noo.

7 minutes ago, turbofurball said:

Like any group of random people, not everyone on this forum behaves the same.

Why not import a used but not very old bike from another country?  Cheaper than new, more choice (unless you have 100% import taxes, like Iran)

For what it's worth, if you have interesting places to ride a trials bike can be good fun, even if you're the only one doing it :)

Thanks, I really appreciate your approach. Actually I think importing would be a great choice. I don't know the custom fees or stuff but I am guessing it's not going to give me a smile on my face. But if I could find one in Greece, it would be no problem to bring by a boat. Captains here and in Greece do it since we are very near. I only intend to ride on my backyard (which is fabulous for trials) so don't need any paperwork. If any one from Greece sees it, please hit the reply.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, breagh said:

We're certainly spoiled here in Scotland  but I would swap you the weather.

I really wish I could give you some decent advice but I really don;t know what to say.

As there's no Trials scene out there would a specialsed trials bike be needed could a Trail/Enduro style bike be adapted for basic trials use?

I really don't know.

As for your limited choice I would plump for the Sherco only because they're a bit more basic than the Gas Gas so easier to repair but that's just an opinion.

As for riding my only advice is take it slowly and learn the basics.

Hope it works out for you.

Cheers the noo.

Thanks, I really would like to see Scotland, been to London but was young. As for the bike type, trials is something I would love to be capable of riding. Some friend told me about ktm 250r freeride which is a light (but not as light as trials) different kind of bike. They say it has some trials genes. I don't know, I am not sure that it's a starchild or an abomination. Have you ridden one?

1 hour ago, copemech said:

What year is the Gasgas? Remember you are best buying upon condition as most all are good.

It's a 2012. He changed cylinder cap with a s3 (now it's 300cc instead of 250)

Like all mechanics, he likes to play with these stuff. That's what worries me.

Do you have a friend with bike knowledge who could view it with you?Does it look like its properly maintained with no rounded off bolt heads.The motor will probably rattle from the clutch,which will stop with the lever pulled in.You need to test ride it to ensure everything works properly.It might have brakes made by Formula which were terrible and would need replacement which could get expensive. Could you post some photos of it ,also a video of it running so we can help you more?

7 minutes ago, breagh said:

That looks like Scotland except the riders look sober and don't weigh the same as a small car.

Not ridden a KTM freeride Trials bikes only these days.

Really? Is it possible to stay fat on these machines? I suppose this think would make me sweat to my bones. But still, if you are too proffesional then maybe you don't put too much calories onto it. 

Motocross riding is common here but no trials, not at all. The one in the picture is maybe one of the ten total bikes in the entire country. And he is not into technical trials riding, he just likes to go enduro with his friends, he feels more comfortable on this bike since he is short :)

No bikes, no instructors, I don't know if I can learn it by myself (and youtube) maybe I should go on a vacation to Scotland and attend a nice trials training. What do you say?

You won't learn much here but you'll get a good laugh.

I suppose a trip to see the famous Scottish Six days in May may be worthwhile .

Frankly you're average Trials rider has a pretty basic skill level only a few can really ride to a high standard.

Most just dodge around at club level  though you do need quite a bit of practice not to look like a complete pudding.

Your problems not unique. a friend of mine retired to Portugal and there was no tials scene there the price of bikes was crazy and most of them are made just across the border.

If your ever mad enough to appear at one of our trials you can ride my bike in it.

Edited by breagh

14 minutes ago, breagh said:

You won't learn much here but you'll get a good laugh.

I suppose a trip to see the famous Scottish Six days in May may be worthwhile .

Frankly you're average Trials rider has a pretty basic skill level only a few can really ride to a high standard.

Most just dodge around at club level  though you do need quite a bit of practice not to look like a complete pudding.

Your problems not unique. a friend of mine retired to Portugal and there was no tials scene there the price of bikes was crazy and most of them are made just across the border.

If your ever mad enough to appear at one of our trials you can ride my bike in it.

I've read about the six days it would be a nice combination. Frankly I am not hoping to be a champ or something, but look at the bright side, if I could just manage a log hop or something like that I would be the best in the entire land :)

Across the border is an appealling option, since our Greek neighbours are more into riding than us (don't know why) they have a variety of second hand choices. Bringing it here would be pretty illegal but awesome at the same time.

Maybe I see you in May, I'll look into it, don't forget your promise :)

Edited by mustafa

A deals a deal there's a documentary coming up by Comedian Ross Noble on the six days  (Starts 7 Dec on Dave) give you a flavour of it.

Turkish Champion? WE had a lad from Kenya Turned up at our club trial  was here to ride the 6 days said he was Kenyan Champion.

impressed I got on of our boys to show him round and he dropped about a 100 marks on a novice route.,

Found out later they only had 6 riders.