Using Less Arms?

mcman56

Riding is hard on my arms.  My forearms get pretty sore and can stay that way, mostly the extensors.  Are there any techniques or tips to help a person ride with less arm and more leg?  Just trying to use less arm does not seem that effective.  I do exercise and stretch my forearms so believe this is a technique issue more than a fitness issue.  Age does not help.           

9 hours ago, mcman56 said:

I do exercise and stretch my forearms so believe this is a technique issue more than a fitness issue.  Age does not help.           

Fitness can be "specific" so riding regularly really is the answer if possible. Practicing is harder on the body than riding a trial sometimes, so take rests, and as others have said, consciously relax.

Edited by b40rt

Read read and investigate further. Therapy barely scratches the surface. Look into the self message video. It takes a lot of work but worth it. Mine became so bad I bought my own electronic machine for self treatment. (One hour a day, I am an a voltage junkie) Not riding  was my worst nightmare as I got to where I could not grip the bars at all.

https://deeprecovery.com/forearm-pain-treatment-and-relief/

• Like 1

Breagh is correct. Not sure how experienced you are but lack of confidence or knowledge of how the bike will react when you hit an obstacle translates into gripping the bars too tightly. Look at photos of good riders and you'll see their fingers relaxed around the handlebars

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 1

lineaway - The link is interesting.  What type of electric device do you use and what type of issues does it help.  I do use an Armaid and it has helped tremendously but I started getting sore again lately.  I have used just for massage but the link shows more of a pressure treatment.

https://armaid.com/collections/frontpage/products/armaid-extreme

I will try the other suggestions also. 

Where can I buy some confidence?

Edited by mcman56
add question

If your gloves are to loose you can also find yourself gripping harder a lot like having gloves that are to thick.  

You don't want them to tight and cutting off circulation but they need to fit well and at least snugly enough to prevent tight grip syndrome.  

The armaid is interesting, but limited. I carry small hard rubber balls wherever I go. The ball by itself enable you to reach more places. I first used a tens unit at my wifes work. Amazingly she works at a PT now for 25 years. It helped but not consistent enough. So I bought a tens unit 7000. Punch that into google and Amazon has them for 30 bucks. I use two at a time, because it usually 30 minute treatments. PT`s use just a constant charge, I have since gone to a pulse type setting. It is more like a work out. I usually probe from my tricep to the fore arm or to the meaty part of the palm. I actually use it all over my body since I own it. You really just need to experiment as each person is different. My fascia was sticking terribly and sometimes it would take over an hour before I could move again. But 30 bucks sure is cheap vs trips to the dr office. So good luck.

Edited by lineaway