Montesa Cota 247

gerwan71

Hi, I'm restoring an old 247 and I need to find a manual or specifications etc. The bike I assume is 70's but need to know how I establish the exact year of build? It has Montesa handlebars on it that are a bit weird as it has two throttles which I cant see why. Can anyone help with dating the bike? Explanation regarding handlebars? Workshop manual in English? Thanks

On 28/11/2017 at 0:25 AM, gerwan71 said:

Hi, I'm restoring an old 247 and I need to find a manual or specifications etc. The bike I assume is 70's but need to know how I establish the exact year of build? It has Montesa handlebars on it that are a bit weird as it has two throttles which I cant see why. Can anyone help with dating the bike? Explanation regarding handlebars? Workshop manual in English? Thanks

I bought on off USA ebay, same seller advertises every week, latest is ebay item 182929150577

The cota 247's don't come standard with 2 throttles, maybe you could follow the cables and see where they go? Or if it only has one cable to the carb, the PO may have kept a spare twist grip on the left side ?? The frame number should be on the side of the head-stock and start 21M******, it should also match the engine number stamped near the front engine mounting. You can check those numbers against year of production online at southwest site. 

As mentioned above, a picture of the twin throttles would be handy.

Hi

Thanks for the replies, I have found matching numbers so if anyone has a look up that can find my bike i'd appreciate it. The handlebars also look different to what ive seen before so there are pictures of that also, The air box also looks different and I've put a picture up of the throttles on the handlebars and not sure at all why one is there?????

Thanks if you can help.

IMG_7542.jpg

IMG_7543.jpg

IMG_7539.jpg

IMG_7540.jpg

IMG_7541.jpg

IMG_7537.jpg

From the numbers it looks like you have somewhere around '77 model. The number is about 4000 after mine and I know they made 4400 of my model, with the '77 being the next model after. The handlebars are genuine Montesa alloys, maybe original - I don't have experience with later models and there are always little differences. Like I thought the left twist grip is a spare for what-ever reason and this is not normal. The air box looks correct but has a small inlet spout that wasn't used on the earlier models - earlier models had a rubber 90 degrees between the air box and carb so the box sits horizontal - I've seen one other picture with the box mounted like yours. Looks like a nice bike.

Those bars are what came standard on the first (1976) and subsequent Cota 348s. They are 1" in the middle and stepped down to 7/8" for the lever mounts and grips. They have a nice shape but beware of unexpected failure. Mine looked perfect externally but broke unexpectedly in about 2014.

• Like 1

I think you have a rare Cota 247 Tandem/Trail that wore a 348 style tank, if so they apparently came out in July 1978 and started with 21M25307.

I'm only basing this on info I've found on the net, not from personal experience. Refer attached pics. I think yours is the cota 247 Trail as shown bottom left in brochure shot.

Cota 247 History 2 of 2.pdf

1979 Montesa Cat Trial2 r.jpg

1979 Cota 247.jpg

Edited by fourex
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...