280i (Explorer)- 400 hours

lotus54

I bought a 2014 OSSA Explorer new as soon as that year was avliable. I’ve been riding the heck out of it ever since, some trials, mostly trails. Even some road.

I have almost 400 hours on it, so I decided I’d better pop the cylinder off and check out the piston/rings/cylinder. (I also suspected I may have a head ‘O’ ring leaking a little).

I couldnt’ believe how good it looked. I’ve seen 2-strokes with 40 hours look way worse.  Hone marks still clean in the cylinder, no scoring, just a bit of ‘staining’.  The piston looks great, a little blow by on the sides, none on the thrust faces at all.  I have not measured the ring end gaps yet. The rings seemed to be a bit ‘gummed up’- but it is also quite cold in the garage.  Perhaps the 100:1 was a bit too much? (I ran the full synth Motorex since new).  Or maybe once it warmed up there was no issue at all.

For 400 hours I was very impressed.  I have a new piston kit- I’ll measure the rings and decide what I want to do.  Might change it and keep the original as a spare, or just clean it up and put it back in for another 400 hours.

I did get a Beta 300 Factory 4T - I wanted to keep from running up TOO many more hours on the OSSA. I still like the bike more every time I ride it, but the Beta is great fun also and I like the 4-stroke fuel mileage. (the OSSA isn’t bad, but the Beta is better).   Power on the two bikes is actually quite similar.  Torquey, smooth delivery, very controllable.  The 4T does have a LOT more engine braking, sometimes I really like it (long, steep downhills) sometimes I don’t (along the flats with throttle on/off). With the longer range tank/seat on the Beta they weigh about the same (OSSA is street legal and plated).

Mark

Edited by lotus54

I still have the 14 Factory 300r

I don’t ride it very much, but it is super fun.  Much better bike than I am a rider!   (Well, I actually *could* ride a lot better and harder stuff, but I’m scared of getting hurt, even just a little. At my age things don’t heal so quickly anymore!)

If they don’t start making them again, I could always install the tank/seat on the factory and use it.  That is sort of in the back of my mind.  (Unless someone comes along that really wants it and will use it- then I’d sell)

mark

Edited by lotus54
  • Like 1