Beta evo 250 , 2012-3 ???

aevans692

I am sure there a good and bad of all bikes but from what I have seen not a lot goes wrong with evo’s, they are a popular club bike for that reason. Other bikes may ride nicer but a club level I’d say it’s still better than most riders out there. I know guys who run evo’s from 09 to 16 in pretty much all engine sizes. I run a 15 300(would be a 250 next time). I can’t remember anyone having any major issues other than wear and tear or lack of maintanece, maybe a set of mains or a piston in the older bikes, water pump kit, and consumables. Generally they are pretty robust and will take a fair bit of abuse, I would say more so than gasser and shercos of a similar vintage. 

13 has the newer frame so is pretty much the same as all the later models, stator and flywheel changes came in about 15 I think. 

Just do the usual checks, does it look generally battered or just wear and tear, betas generally start well, ask the usual questions about gearbox oil, premix etc, check linkeages for free play, notchiness in bearings, pads, clutches can be snappy but there is a fix, fork seals etc. Rear mudguards aren’t cheap to replace, rear brakes can be a pain to bleed on some bikes. Mapping switch can be broken off easily, most are cable tied back on-a few people move them out of harms way, myself included.

Some people keep receipts and a maintanence record - If your lucky it may have some history. If your ok with the spanners give it a full go over before you ride so you know where your starting from, I would do that for any trials bike though. 

Having said all that I am contemplating selling and going  to a gasser for no reason than I fancy a change

Could be a good choice ,as above really on what to look out for.If it does need anything check out the cost,can turn out more than you think.Clutches on them range from good to awful,but there's a lot of talk on here on improving them if you're mechanically minded.Ride the bike,making sure a Beta suits you is what matters 

My 2013 Beta Evo 250 would occasionally jump out of first or second gear, mid section.  At first I thought that it was just me, but research in the Beta forum revealed that this was a common issue.  Apparently it was caused by the selector fork being made of steel that was too thin and springy.  2013 was not the only year to have this issue. 

I have now changed to Sherco, but I understand that the newer Betas do not have this issue.