Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mink_man

Need to true my wheels this week.

9 posts in this topic

Got the new tyres ordered and i want to true the back wheel especially because its well out of true. Anyone got some pearls of knowledge for me? 

Don't want these Ads? Why not sign up as a Trials Central Supporter.

I did my first re-spoke job on a set of wheels last year and they turned out okay. I found the best help on youtube watching 3 or 4 different how to videos.

1 person likes this

youtube 

My bet is that none of them spoke nipples will turn a bit.

2 people like this

If a nipple is tight, grip the spoke close to it with a set of mole grips then heat the nipple up before working it back and forth with WD40 to free it up.  Don't try to free them without gripping them, it will end in tears...

I've found the rear wheel ones are usually ok as they benefit from any lube thrown off the chain (I use old gear oil).  It's the front ones that I've normally found to be seized.

2 people like this

14 hours ago, craig10 said:

If a nipple is tight, grip the spoke close to it with a set of mole grips then heat the nipple up before working it back and forth with WD40 to free it up.  Don't try to free them without gripping them, it will end in tears...

I've found the rear wheel ones are usually ok as they benefit from any lube thrown off the chain (I use old gear oil).  It's the front ones that I've normally found to be seized.

Thanks for the head ups on that craig,you were absolutely bang on! God them all free'd tonight. Ill start truing them tomrrow! :) 

Update;

All sorted eventually its with 1 to 2 mm true, looks fine when the wheel is spun.

First time i have put a rear X11 on too, i can safely say the easiest and safest way is to take the valve stem out use 3 ratchet straps around the tyre equal distance apart. blow it up and as it takes onto the rim let the straps off.

when you say true @mink_man, up and down or side to side?

Edited by nigel dabster
1 person likes this

Both Nige. 

1 person likes this