SWM clutch springs?

chappo

I have spent time effort and money on trying to make the clutch on my Swm work.  After changing the cam for the enduro model with the bigger balls, . as a last resort I have taken two springs out and it seems to be a compromise on a working clutch, easier action and not too much slip in the higher gears.   

Hope 

• Like 1

@metisse

Still thinking about why you have no slightly advantage after the mounting the later enduro lever with the longer arm and the bigger balls,
as at least there should be a slight improvement to red and older yellow models.

Are you sure the base of the case is milled sufficient?

1 hour ago, chappo said:

b40rt,

Thanks for that in depth reply, ????

Only joking just asking before I make a decision.

Seriously, all the info you need is in the swm forum. Things to check - clutch springs, probably to hard. Clutch cable condition and routing. Clutch lever type. Clutch basket probably notched. What oil in gearbox ?

b40r,

Bought it as a renovation project for winter so haven’t ridden it in anger , just pottered up the drive twice on it before I stripped it. The clutch was difficult to say the least.

Im just rebuilding her, hence the questions.

Ive oiled the cable, cleaned the mechanism inside the clutch case and cleaned , decontaminated the plates.

Ive been advised to use a light gear oil, 75w!!!! 

What do you use?

The clutch basket fingers are quite notched, will I be ok grinding the ridges off, I mean with a Dremmel and gently ?

On 07/12/2017 at 1:59 AM, chappo said:

b40r,

Bought it as a renovation project for winter so haven’t ridden it in anger , just pottered up the drive twice on it before I stripped it. The clutch was difficult to say the least.

Im just rebuilding her, hence the questions.

Ive oiled the cable, cleaned the mechanism inside the clutch case and cleaned , decontaminated the plates.

Ive been advised to use a light gear oil, 75w!!!! 

What do you use?

The clutch basket fingers are quite notched, will I be ok grinding the ridges off, I mean with a Dremmel and gently ?

Routing of clutch cable is important, get a new one unless its very good.

Read about clutch levers, they make a huge difference.

I have been using fully synthetic 5:30 for about 2 years, works for me. Clutch will slip in high gears if you drop it, a compromise I'm willing to accept, more down to clutch springs rather than oil,l as it will also do this with other oils. Might be worth trying the "Beta Clutch Fix"

I have gently filed clutch baskets in the past, it will make an improvement, but try and source a good one.

Edited by b40rt