Does anyone know height and weight of the pro riders?

leosantanalg

been riding trials for 8 months and my impression is that all the great riders are 155lbs soak and wet and no more than 5'7"

I wonder if its really possible to do some of the techniques weighing 240 lbs and being 6'1".  So far I ve only seen 1 tall high level rider: Cody Webb.   I m talking about hopping on rear wheel, stoppie turns, big splatters, flip turns etc...  Does anyone know of a big guy that does it or you have to be small?? I m about to upgrade to a 300 from my 250 on a hope that zaps and hopps get a little easier.  so far the only thing I ve notice that help is a handle bar riser. although lots of people say its not a good idea, I m convinced that made easier to bunny hop and rear wheel hop.  back to the question: what do guys like Bou,Raga and Dabill weigh???

If you want to delude yourself into thinking it's your size preventing you doing those things, go for it, but it's all skill. Is it a factor at the highest levels of the sport? Yes. Pol Tarres is a good example of a big guy in trials, whose size was a factor. But again, only at the highest level. For everyone else, no. 

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 2

I remember going to a trials school hosted by Bernie Schreiber.

A chap in his late 30's attempted a step on his ageing 250 Swm and failed miserably, kicking it in the process.

Schreiber picked the bike up and proceeded to do everything he'd already done on his factory Yamaha, then casually handed the bike back to the awe struck bloke.

There's just no substitute for skill and Schreiber was certainly not 5'7". :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, leosantanalg said:

that seems to be the idea that weight doesn't matter but none of these guys are over 200 lbs, are they?

Unless your are attempting to get to expert in record time your 200+ isn't your limiting factor.  

I may not be over 200 but right at 200 and 5' 10" I have no issues hopping the front and rear around with stock bar setup.  I can do an ok splatter, and am learning to zap (still working on it).  

I figure even if I was to add a few more pounds it would likely only affect my zap a bit if anything as I might not be able to jump as high.  Other than that I would expect to be able too perform about the same as I can now.  

Hope this helps.  

One could argue that a taller rider will have more leverage and also able to move body weight further. There have been great riders of all statures, small, slim tall, heavy...

Doug is a big bloke over 6' and strong, Jordi Tarres, average height?  & slim,....

Toni Bou I think is around 5'9" ?? and obviously a strong athlete. But ultimately in trials unless someone is particularly small or extremely tall or heavy, I don't think it makes too much difference.

Like any sport - Physical & mental capability, natural ability, technique, skill, and hard work! are the key ingredients.

I quick thought regarding size in trials  - Maybe like pro boxing a tall heavy athlete is stronger and able to physically shift more weight around where as a smaller lighter athlete is quicker and more nimble. Perhaps what makes Toni Bou ideal is he is like a super middle weight, powerful and fast .. just a thought.     

• Like 3

You clearly dont remember the Camozzi brothers! Guys were tanks! Try telling them their height and weight was a disadvantage!! :lol:

Think bruno was 5th in the world one year

2581202891_05b20d0741.jpg

Steve Colley and Tommi Ahvala, two other 6'2 plus guys, and nobody could air turn like Steve back in the day!!!

Edited by faussy
  • Like 3

I remember a very good rider that hopped all day and rode our Nationals for years. In good shape he might of made it  at 299 lbs. Everyone always felt sorry for his bike, but there were very few sections that he ever dropped points in. Weight really has nothing to do with it.

• Like 4

I am about 5'8" tall and we will just go with a little north of the 250 lb mark......  :D

I can do an ok splatter, a decent zap, can finish a trial without dying, hop the front and hop the rear around.  I do have bar risers, mainly because it was cheaper than buying a new set of bars with a high bend.  (low back was sore leaning forward)

My biggest difficulty, sadly to say, is getting my boots buckled, damn belly gets in the way.  But I can find traction pretty easily with all this gravitational pull.

I ride a 300 because I like how they perform/react etc., a 250 will do the same stuff, just may use slightly different throttle inputs etc.

DN6hxX1UIAEwkPS.jpg

CrD-3ugUkAAkOop.jpg

• Like 9

13 hours ago, leosantanalg said:

that seems to be the idea that weight doesn't matter but none of these guys are over 200 lbs, are they?

I watched your video. I think your complaint is that you're not getting any bounce when trying to get the rear hop while pogo'ing working. It's got nothing to do with your weight. It's all timing. You need to bend more and pop the clutch harder, and you need to time it all together. When it's right, the bike comes off the ground like magic.

• Like 4

Dougie Lampkin is 6ft 2in tall and broad.

David Knight is a big lad and so is Juan his brother and both are brilliant trials riders as well as enduro.

There are all sizes and shapes riding club trials successfully.

• Like 3