Oset 24r brakes.

kingkopity

good evening all. I have a query regarding brake rotors on the 24. The bike came with 180mm rotors F+R, But i have noticed one or two guys swapping them out for 203mm. Is there any real benefit to this? I understand why its done on mountain bikes, and i also understand the basic theory behind putting bigger rotors on cars and motor bikes. But is there any real benefit to be gained from installing them to the oset? All of the "proper" trials bikes i see, (sherco, beta, etc) all have tiny rear discs. In short, will i get a better bite from a 203 rear rotor over a 180? 

Thank you all in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

It was actually your reply in the "24R" post that made me seek a little more info. I have to agree with you that more bite is needed. I just couldn't see how bigger rotors would achieve this. I know they dissipate heat better, but i wouldnt see this as an issue with the stop/start style of riding. I have read somewhere that the longer arm between the rotor centre and outer braking surface is longer, giving a stronger bite. But this seemed slightly made up to me. Anyway, thanks for the info, i opted to fit a set of Hope brakes instead, 180 rear with jitsie pads, 203 up front to help with stoppies.