Easy to kick over

caravan_monster

I suppose it's only a matter of time before electric starts are put on trials bikes.  Enduro bikes have them, and maybe some Moto-Cross bikes.

At the moment I am struggling with a vintage Bultaco 350 that is a bad starter, the kick start is forward at rest and only has about 80 degrees of travel before hitting the footrest.

My TY 175 starts a treat, just move the kick-start from top to bottom..  Low compression and only 175cc..  Bingo.!

Edited by scifi

I really can't imagine a serious trials bike with electric start. Weight is critical (for marketing purposes at least, even if not so much so for performance) so why add the weight of starter + battery + solenoid  wiring? Also, modern bikes are so tightly packaged. Where would you put it?

1 hour ago, heffergm said:

Gasgas already makes an econo with electric start... Im sure they'll turn up in other non competition type trials bikes. 

A part of me want you to be wrong, but in truth I think there will be at least a few that will have it.

The GP bike models will likely not have one, at least that's my perception. 

On 10/12/2017 at 2:35 PM, lineaway said:

It is true you can just push a 4rt to start, but sometimes they do not start right away. I was out on a 2017 the other day. It had been sitting for over a month. Started first kick. I rode it for about two hours. That was the only time it started the first kick. I stopped many times with the motor off. (I was chasing the ranches dogs. GPS collars.) Most times it was 3-4 kicks vs my Beta would start first kick every time, except the first kick would be 2-3 times. Funny  difference between bikes.

My 4RT is first kick every time - hot or cold..........weird

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

On 12/10/2017 at 5:24 PM, turbofurball said:

My Gasgas TXTPro started first kick and was very easy, once I got the carb cleaned.  My TY is also very low stress on my right knee (which is bad from an operation) and very low down, which also helps.

The Cota is the hardest bike I've ever had to kick start, and I can only manage it standing next to the bike and using my left leg!

All my GG bikes started easily, not sure why so many have had issues. I was at TTC once and ended up kicking over the GG's for people cos they couldn't start em. My old 280 was so easy to start you could kick it over with your hand.