Is this a good deal for $1300? (USD) 1973 montesa 247

johnnyjazz

Hello Friends, new to Montesa forum. Guy selling this locally, says its all original.  seems like a pretty good price? (compared to what i paid for my minty TY)

any advice or guidance gratefully received!  are these bikes easy for parts/spares, anything i should look for specific to these bikes if i go to see it?

wife certainly not happy at the thought of another bike but trying to convince her it could be an investment?.

many thanks always, johnny

00000_cHwTH6jX7Y9_600x450.jpg

00a0a_cDiJ2U1oq64_600x450.jpg

Edited by johnnyjazz
detail

I'm afraid it's not a 247, but a 123/172 unit. It's not worth the price.

The frame should be gray or black (it depends on the manufacturing year), the fenders are aluminum ... expensive and hard to find parts. BUt the worst part is that you won't find it's 20 and 17 inches tyres.

Edited by kingscorpion
  • Like 2

The frame number will tell you right away.  21M is a 247, 28M is a 123, 19M is a 172  Sourced here - .  http://www.montesaweb.com/secciones/home.aspx

I never go by frame paint color or whatever fenders happen to be on a Trials bike to determine a year, frame numbers will usually reveal it's date of birth.  I have a '77 247 in boxes that had aftermarket plastic fenders and the frame/swingarm had been nickel plated somewhere along the way, so when folks said "if it has (pick one) colored frame it's this year" it didn't help. Lots of vintage Trials bikes in the states are not "original" anymore due to mods, ad-hock repairs to keep them going, or ham-fisted "restoration" attempts.  

Good thing that little Monty is 2000 miles away or I would have to add it to my collection.  :lol:

• Like 1

Thanks again friends! methinks i have enough on my plate with my TY project anyway (and keeping the wife appeased)

The ad never stated the model so i was just guessing it was a 247 from my (very) limited knowledge of montys, but as always i learn so much here!

he did say it was original though...if anyone else is interested i can post the ad?

best wishes from brooklyn :)