Milky oil

jsp

Went out yesterday and when I got to the venue I noticed my oil had gone milky, it wasn’t like that when I last rode it which was a couple of weeks ago, I’ve changed it yesterday and checked to water level and it’s fine, anyone got any ideas why it’s done it ? 

F8111722-05B3-4DAC-AB32-5C60C48639F6.jpeg

I think it's just water pooled outside the glass. It's a bit concave so it tends to sit there a little.

Milky oil is generally one of two things: you sucked in water via the filter (like, the bike was dropped in a river sort of deal), or you've got a coolant leak and it's mixing with the oil. It doesn't take much of a leak to make a mess of the oil, so you might not notice any loss of coolant until its been happening for a while, assuming that's what it is.

There is a breather pipe that ends up in the air box but I’m haven’t had chance to see where that comes from, and if your a bit gung ho with the pressure washer you do get water in the air box so it may be running down the breather pipe ? I also have a heater in the garage that’s timed to come on for a hour or so three times a week to dry boots but it’s also pointed at the bike which is kept under a pair of thick lined curtains so maybe it’s getting warm and then cold and that’s causing the condensation? 

I think I'm going to keep any eye on it, I have it on good authority that the water from 

the cooling system cant get in to the gearbox oil so its either going in through the seal on

the out put shaft or down the breather in the airbox 

What breather in the airbox? The only exit from the airbox I ever recall seeing on mine was the water drain, which is just a plastic check valve like you find in every other bike's airbox that allows water out. But it doesn't go anywhere other than onto whatever is under the plug.

In fact, thinking on it a bit more, I had the entire airbox out of mine regularly when changing the plug and whatnot, and there was no connection from the bike to the airbox other than the air filter > intake interface, and some electrical connections.

Edited by heffergm

on my 2017 bike the gearbox breather pipe ends up inside the airbox on the

left as you stood on the bike near the sensor thats in there as per the attached photo 

so there is a small chance of water traveling back down the breather into the gearbox 

IMG_0644.JPG

Is yours an '18? That'd be a difference from the '17.

I will tell you this: that section of the airbox tends to fill with water, especially if you wash the bike and spray towards the airbox intake. Also, as I found out once, if you've got the bike in a truck bed/trailer and you're transporting it in the rain.

mine is a 2017 Fajardo replica so i would pressume it has some 2018 items on it

i try always stuff a cloth in the air intake whilst I'm washing it off but even with

that in and trying to avoid the area I still have to have a mop up in there, good job 

its a 10 second job to get in there. I'm thinking of fitting a one way valve like people 

have to vent there petrol tanks as I have a couple kicking about the garage