Evo linkage cleaning

stu109

Had a go yesterday at cleaning and re-greasing the various linkage bearings on my Evo 4T.

Overall not quite as tricky as I thought.

Does seem to be designed though so that none of the bolts can be easily removed as each is baulked by the shock or the swing arm.  In the end took off one of the foot rests to get things started.

There was very little play when I started (which I took to be a good sign) and it was even better when finished.

Cleaned out the bearings with a tooth brush and brake cleaner, which seemed to work well.  Re-greased with waterproof grease which I got from a marine chandler.  The "top hat" bushes looked to be in good order.

The lowest sitting bearings in the dog bones where much dirtier that the others.  There presumably get the most dirt when riding. Think I will look to replace all the bearings next time round.

Didn't do anything with the bearings at each end of the shock.  Couldn't see exactly how these came apart and didn't want to damage them.

Do the bushes on these just pull out?

There is a top hat bush either side of the rose joint bearing behind the rubber seal . Bushes are pressed in and seem to be quite tight ( at least they are on mine). Once the top hat is out you can drive the bearing out of the shock