Sorpa Sy 250 2 T oil

bondy

I know you should never go against a manual but 40:1 seems a tad much to me. Had a few sy scorpas back then, rode them pretty hard too, was always using between 50:1 to 60:1 motul 710 with no problems. And that was recommended by the UK importer at the time. 40:1 is more tyz mixtures :lol:

Edited by faussy
  • Like 1

I initially was lazy and used my KTM premix.  40:1 klotz r50.  The jetting was not happy and the high flashpoint was very spoogy.

Researched various brands and products offered.

Currently running 50:1 mix ratio with a low flashpoint oil.  Jetting and spooge sorted by just this change.

So, 50:1 in my 2005 SY250R.

I was told by others use 80:1, but was not comfy at that mix, simply a personal opinion not something I tested.

5 hours ago, pmk said:

I initially was lazy and used my KTM premix.  40:1 klotz r50.  The jetting was not happy and the high flashpoint was very spoogy.

Researched various brands and products offered.

Currently running 50:1 mix ratio with a low flashpoint oil.  Jetting and spooge sorted by just this change.

So, 50:1 in my 2005 SY250R.

I was told by others use 80:1, but was not comfy at that mix, simply a personal opinion not something I tested.

70:1 should be fine with modern fully synthetic 2T oils

Trials bike don't work as hard as KTM's at 40:1

You are over oiling that bike

56 minutes ago, johnnyboxer said:

70:1 should be fine with modern fully synthetic 2T oils

Trials bike don't work as hard as KTM's at 40:1

You are over oiling that bike

Yes, very possible slightly more oil than needed.  

Agree, a trials bike engine may not be pushed as hard as my 250 KTM.

While researching a different oil for the Scorpa, I did have a good conversation with Klotz tech support.  As we discussed fuel mix ratios, we both agreed that a key function of the oil is sealing the rings, along with protection to parts needing lubrication.  The mix ratios at 80:1 will allow the engine to operate, but he questioned the effectiveness to lubricate rings and thereby allowing a proper seal.

As our discussion continued, we both agreed the trials engine being run less at high power did not require the higher flashpoint oils.  The lower flashpoint oils will burn off during combustion, running clean, with minimal or no spooge, and can be run at those ratios to promote longer engine life with proper ring sealing.

With that said, a deviated away from Klotz products, due to local on the shelf availability.  The product I settled on is full synthetic, and the oil manufacturer recommends mix ratios ranging from 24:1 to 60:1.  They base this mix ratio range on engine cc.  Smaller displacements or sustained high rpm engines ran more oil, while large open class two strokes ran less oil.  

For a 250, they recommended between 40:1 and 50:1.  No doubt I could have gone to 60:1, but decided at this time to first evaluate splitting the difference between Yamahas recommended 40:1 mix of Yamalube, and the 60:1 minimum oil amount prescribed by the oil manufacturer.

I mixed only 2 1/2 gallons of fuel, 100ll avgas and the oil.  So far it works well, if reasons dictate, next I can try 60:1, or if needed, measure the fuel I have and add more gasoline, but so far, so good.

Truly, I believe the low flashpoint will be the key to this oil and ratio burning very clean out the tailpipe, The uncertainty is, will the low flashpoint induce carbon buildup?

Rode my o8 SY250R for nine years before I traded up this spring.  Was probably my second favorite bike next to my 94 KRoo.  We'll see how the new Evo stands up.  Ran Amzoil Dominator at 70-80:1 in the Scorpa. 70-80:1 as It's almost impossible to be perfectly accurate all the time.  Rode it in hundreds of practices and a meet every month, with half a dozen hard trail rides across the Five Miles of Hell in Utah. Always ran great and never had the head off.  Bike ran as good the day I sold it as it did new.  If you run more than 70:1 you're just gumming it up.

• Like 1