Xtrial 2018 FIM Sucks (does not suck anymore)!!

leosantanalg

4 hours ago, boringac said:

Why don’t they just stream the event? Because the business model they decided upon when providing the financial stimulus to the series didn’t warrant giving the media away for free, respect it.

By the way, I don't buy that at all. First off, I don't have to respect something simply because it exists. Not providing content online these days is generally foolish (F1 anybody?). If you want to charge for it, well and good, at least it's still available (yay Dorna and MotoGP!). But not providing it in any fashion, for a sport that doesn't have any TV coverage in most cases, makes zero sense from any angle you want to look at it. Who exactly would lose out on the indoor series being streamed? The local promoter? Please. If the scale you're concerned with is a few hundred people in a tiny stadium, you've totally missed the boat. Like I said, the trials community is global, people want access to content. Not providing it at all is no different than providing it for free, the exception being you're doing nothing to promote and everything to kill the sport by keeping it locked in a closet. Step one, provide the content. Build the audience with a good product. Start charging when you're confident people will want to stick around to see it.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, heffergm said:

By the way, I don't buy that at all. First off, I don't have to respect something simply because it exists. Not providing content online these days is generally foolish (F1 anybody?). If you want to charge for it, well and good, at least it's still available (yay Dorna and MotoGP!). But not providing it in any fashion, for a sport that doesn't have any TV coverage in most cases, makes zero sense from any angle you want to look at it. Who exactly would lose out on the indoor series being streamed? The local promoter? Please. If the scale you're concerned with is a few hundred people in a tiny stadium, you've totally missed the boat. Like I said, the trials community is global, people want access to content. Not providing it at all is no different than providing it for free, the exception being you're doing nothing to promote and everything to kill the sport by keeping it locked in a closet. Step one, provide the content. Build the audience with a good product. Start charging when you're confident people will want to stick around to see it.

More pointless typing. You now have the capability to go and watch live or not.

If you still don’t like it at this point get a loan/mortgage the house/etc and as you know what you are doing be next year’s major sponsor.

The current people are doing a grand job and the sections looked fantastic, can’t wait to see it live.

11 minutes ago, boringac said:

More pointless typing. You now have the capability to go and watch live or not.

If you still don’t like it at this point get a loan/mortgage the house/etc and as you know what you are doing be next year’s major sponsor.

The current people are doing a grand job and the sections looked fantastic, can’t wait to see it live.

You realize now that you're simply arguing because you're unwilling to change your viewpoint.

My argument is simply this: trials needs to make events viewable by people other than those within the nearest 100 miles, and the internet, it turns out, is a jolly good way to make that happen.

Your argument seems to be screw off, if you want to see it, fly there. I don't get how that's a tenable stance for anyone who cares about trials to have.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, boringac said:

but complain about others that keep the sport alive.

You're missing the point, they aren't, they're killing it! Today, its infinitely easier to makes things more accessible, yet theyve found a way to make it less

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

And what is my view point? I'll tell you, to be supportive of any sponsor or series to my/your sport.

I agree it would be nice to watch all the rounds on youtube, even live online, but please point me to the sponsor knocking down doors to allow this? The world runs on money unfortunately, this means the events key objective isn’t to show people who haven’t walked through their doors the event. In trials terms its often local business/shops just supporting local culture and people, which means showing a banner online to people in the USA with a local insurance firm, or local trials shop isn’t even on the radar.

And to be brutally honest, negativity within the scene is killing trials. Especially on the internet, give somebody a keyboard and they are better business men than Bill Gates, better investors than Warren Buffett, better sections setters than Martin Lampkin and better riders than Toni Bou.

Who wants to watch an Indoor trial, even travel 1,000 of miles to watch it live when somebody on the internet said it ‘Sucks’

The community needs to be supportive and not negative all the time, the Spanish are showing us up in more ways than one. Be supportive, travel, and maybe that supporter will knock the doors down in years to come. Let’s face it, we all should be going out and buying Beta’s to support James Babill, give him some negotiating power when it comes to next year.

And just to drive my point home, as you guys have noted, TVfim did show the riding online, but stopped, something wasn’t working.

34 minutes ago, boringac said:

I agree it would be nice to watch all the rounds on youtube, even live online, but please point me to the sponsor knocking down doors to allow this?

That' an interesting point, makes you wonder why there is so much advertising on youtube now then, my uneducated guess is, if sponsors can't see what's in it with internet advertising, then they possibly need to re think their strategy, cause that's where it's at nowadays.

• Like 1

I thought The real purpose of this Forum is for us to express our opinions and talk about Trials. I dont like the fact that I m being reprimanded for complaining of an undeniable lack of coverage in one of the main events of my favorite sport. I started this thread and notice immediately was taken away from the general discussion section. Well, I guess I m not alone here. The frustration is real. Wake up, this is the world of Face Book live, instagram and many other online platforms. One should not be expected just to hop on a plane and fly half way across the world to see a 1 hr event. I d rather buy a new bike... There are also Visa issues, accommodations and....  Get real people, We have the right to express our frustration!! I m not asking for a free video, I m asking for a way to see my favorite rider performing. Charge if necessary.  Rant over 

Edited by leosantanalg
  • Like 3

A few points:

1) The series now has a promoter in 2Play who are responsible for everything so media coverage is nothing to do with the FIM as the topic title suggests.

2) From their media releases, the opening round was to be shown live in a number of countries with a highlights programme to follow. See https://www.x-trial.com/en/news/x-trial-vendee-live though I have no idea if that actually happened, which countries it was shown in and if that will be continued for future rounds, but you can contact them via their website to ask. They've been pretty fast in responding when I've had to contact them and their English is okay.

3) The topic was moved from General Trials Talk to World Championship because it relates to the Indoor World Championship so that is where it belongs, though I don't see why that matters. It's not like it was removed.

• Like 3

Sooner this Trials nonsense dies a death the better maybe then I'll get an entry for the Six days which I'm reliably informed has recieved 560 entries this year.

Oor wee club in the middle of nowhere has a mere 150 members hardy worth bothering.

Fact is trials is a participant sport most folk that ride wouldn't go to the end of the road to watch a trial but will turn up in a muddy field in the middle of nowhere in there droves for a wee play.l;

• Like 4

I think at clubman level it's the worse motorcycle sport to watch, dull, I think the x-games is a circus with performing monkeys, very skillful performing monkeys granted, the ssdt and Scott are a very good watch, as for the outdoor worlds, I booked to attend two of next years series, so should be good, but you wouldn't catch me opening my curtains if the indoor was playing out in my garden.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, cabby said:

I think at clubman level it's the worse motorcycle sport to watch, dull, I think the x-games is a circus with performing monkeys, very skillful performing monkeys granted, the ssdt and Scott are a very good watch, as for the outdoor worlds, I booked to attend two of next years series, so should be good, but you wouldn't catch me opening my curtains if the indoor was playing out in my garden.

What don’t you like about the indoor series? Have you never liked indoor?

From my prospective I find it more enjoyable and technically superior to outdoor, especially due to the fact you can analyse all the riders (taking it in turns), comparing their techniques to others. It’s just a shame the UK doesn’t have any domestic indoor venues so the local lads can improve their riding outside of major competition.

Andy – Who should we enquire to/Push as individuals regarding a 2019 UK indoor world event? Is it for the ACU to bid, or does it all sit with the FIM and promoter?

I can aspire to the ssdt, the scott, even the outdoor worlds with a bit of imagination, I can't aspire to jumping up and over a 20 foot high Putoline bottle. I get the skill, it's an impressive show I accept but they're like performing monkeys, but not only that, the guy on the mike would do my skull in listening to him wooping all night, I get how the kids would love it all though.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, boringac said:

Andy – Who should we enquire to/Push as individuals regarding a 2019 UK indoor world event? Is it for the ACU to bid, or does it all sit with the FIM and promoter?

Dunno. Neil Crosswaite is behind Sheffield. Suspect promoter would want too much money. That's why Sheffield disappeared from the Championship previously. It does badly need a shake-up and refresh though.

I'm kinda with Cabby on this. Not into the Indoor stuff at all personally, but I'd say there are bigger questions need answered like how can it be a "World Championship" when five of the eight rounds are in France? Why have they shoe-horned Benoit Bincaz in as a fixed rider, to the detriment of far more capable riders, apart from the fact he's French? Why not Franz Kadlec or Iwan Roberts, Trial2 World Champ.

• Like 4