hello all want to start trials riding

r6rob

i've raced short circuit bikes for a few years now and after breaking my leg quite badly got run over i'm having a year out to recover and wait till i've got my pin out before starting up again in the mean time want to start some trails riding done it once on a day out with some friends and loved it but never took it any further, i'm now after some advice what bike i should get from what i've seen a 250 4 stroke seems a good starting point is that right ? looking to spend £1500-£3000 depending how my money goes and if the extra money is worth spending be great to get some advice and go from there rob 

Trials 2 strokes aren't like MX or enduros, they're tuned for torque and fine throttle control.  Also they're more simple and lighter, and more than one person on here has said they're generally less agressive on the throttle than some of the 4 strokes.

For my first year I had a 125 Gasgas, it was absolutely the right choice for me (after nearly 30 years of riding various trail and road bikes, and having a right leg that's held together with metal)

• Like 2

What part of the world are you in? Observers are always in short supply at trials and a good way to become popular AND get quality free advice is to turn up and observe. You'll see whats good locally and may be able to try a bike that someone is looking to sell?

• Like 2

west sussex chichester, makes sense any 2 stroke i've ever ridden have no power till the power band then go nuts and that seemed very odd for a trials bike to me but if there tuned differently makes sense i'm looking at going to a couple of meetings to observe/ help set up and get to know some people like you say then can either find someone to borrow a bike to try or one for sale 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, markparrish said:

Hi Rob, I joined http://brdmcc.org/ and met some very helpful and chilled out guys - lots of good advice on tap and regular events/practice (something almost every Sunday). 

Good luck, Mark (and yes 2 stroke very different to road/MX bikes I'd tried before)

awesome thanks just sent them a message about helping out where i can, think 2 stroke is the way to go by the sounds of what everyone has said to me seen some loverly bikes at gordon farley motorcycles today  

Don't dismiss a 4T. My Beta 300 4T has oodles of power, pulls like a train at the bottom end and sounds lovely to boot. When people think of a 4 stroke, they always think of a Montesa, but the Beta gets lots of admiring comments. (And yes, I am a novice on a 300. With the 4T, it works.)

14 hours ago, stpauls said:

There are many more 2 stroke than 4 stroke trials bikes at any trials meeting - perhaps eight to one or more. 

This is for a reason.  Best stick to 2 strokes.

At a recent trial at Hope Farm, Northumberland, on the expert course 17 of the 19 riders were on 2 stroke - the winner was on 4t.

1 hour ago, b40rt said:

At a recent trial at Hope Farm, Northumberland, on the expert course 17 of the 19 riders were on 2 stroke - the winner was on 4t.

do you have the stats for the easy/ beginner riders as that would proberly be more relavant as i'm starting out knowing what experts use might not directly relate to how user friendly a bike is ? 

Edited by r6rob