twinshock trials come back ?

Prototype

Hi 

Will twinhocks bikes will come back ?. I love the older british bikes since childhood

i can see lot of British manufactures are making the bikes again ( Triumph, Norton Brough Superior etc ) , 

i like the newer models .. but they are missing the character , most of them look the same. Sorry my opinion only. 

Regards

Come back in what form?? The old twin shock bikes still have a good turnout at events and even special series with just twin shock. But new twin shock production bikes will never be seen unless you build one. Or buy a Harley twin shock bikes are all the technology they can handle

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bsa4life said:

Hi 

Will twinhocks bikes will come back ?. I love the older british bikes since childhood

i can see lot of British manufactures are making the bikes again ( Triumph, Norton Brough Superior etc ) , 

i like the newer models .. but they are missing the character , most of them look the same. Sorry my opinion only. 

Regards

You do realise the manufacturers you mention have no connection with the original companies? The brand names have been purchased by businessmen/entrepreneurs who started new companies with the cachet of the historic marque. It helps to sell bikes but doesn't mean the products bear any relation to the models of yesteryear which happen to have the same name on the tank.

• Like 1

I have to agree that apart from colour schemes most of the Trials bikes now all tend to mirror each other, bit like all the jelly mold cars we have charging about! Nothing tends to be readily identifiable now unlike in the 80’s and 70’s and before; when bikes had character, then you could tell a make and model from the noise, from the outline and layout of the bike.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, bsa4life said:

i like the newer models .. but they are missing the character , most of them look the same.

A Beta looks like a Gasgas looks like a TRS? To an unpractised eye, that's true. But going back to the old bikes, a Triumph twin looks like a BSA twin looks like a Norton twin. And a Francis-Barnett looks like a James looks like a BSA Bantam. If you're an enthusiast for a particular type of bike, the differences are obvious. If you're not, they're not.

• Like 5

13 hours ago, jonnyc21 said:

The could see a possibility of someone doing a retro style with some newer technology.  

But a better question would be, is it likely? I don't see it.  

I have a dream of a new twinshock, like the current Majesty, but with an electric motor.  I may be a very niche customer in that regard though!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, evoalien said:

Come back in what form?? The old twin shock bikes still have a good turnout at events and even special series with just twin shock. But new twin shock production bikes will never be seen unless you build one. Or buy a Harley twin shock bikes are all the technology they can handle

I mean to say if they will be production again. i agree the Twinshock have good turnout , but their prices are increasing rapidly and becoming collectible items. 

1 hour ago, trapezeartist said:

A Beta looks like a Gasgas looks like a TRS? To an unpractised eye, that's true. But going back to the old bikes, a Triumph twin looks like a BSA twin looks like a Norton twin. And a Francis-Barnett looks like a James looks like a BSA Bantam. If you're an enthusiast for a particular type of bike, the differences are obvious. If you're not, they're not.

i might be more biased towards older bikes. but i still believe olders bikes were different from ground up ( frame, engine , sounds ) were distinctive  , FB and james shared Villiers engine

i agree everyone have its own taste and liking , and i respect that.

I'm going to throw in a bit of controversy now.

Why would you want twin shocks back? I rode them all through my school boy days, the day the yam mono came out I chucked the old twin shock away and never looked back!

I don't understand the appeal of riding old bikes..? I have had a ride on a few since and couldn't wait to give them back and jump back on my modern Gas Gas.

The old bikes are under powered, heavy, awkward, brakes are rubbish and just generally uncomfortable to ride (other than when you are sitting down on them)!

But I guess that's just me :)

TIN HAT ON :o

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, dav cc said:

I'm going to throw in a bit of controversy now.

Why would you want twin shocks back? I rode them all through my school boy days, the day the yam mono came out I chucked the old twin shock away and never looked back!

I don't understand the appeal of riding old bikes..? I have had a ride on a few since and couldn't wait to give them back and jump back on my modern Gas Gas.

The old bikes are under powered, heavy, awkward, brakes are rubbish and just generally uncomfortable to ride (other than when you are sitting down on them)!

But I guess that's just me :)

TIN HAT ON :o

I don't disagree

When I got my new TY250R Mono in 1985, the world had moved on and twinshocks were lame, in comaprison

Fast forward to now and I much prefer modern bikes, however I do have a soft spot for my TYZ - power is usable, suspension is ok and the brakes (with a 4pot AJP) are good

I did ride a very good Fantic 240 the other week and it was far from stock and original, much modified - it rode very well...........but was still heavy

• Like 1

Well I remember a certain Don Smith riding a Works Kawasaki KT250 appearing on Blue Peter, he was going to ride over a Coke can without touching it WOW. He was treading on the edge of a “bunny hop!” no less. Erm I remember watching Don at a trial down in Devon area 1970’s one particular section was across a stream up the bank and then a steep climb further up a very narrow ridge. Many riders mad brave attempts but dabbed or fived, then along comes Don and hails to the observer “give us a five mate”. He then proceeded to sit astride his KT 250 and spectate whilst a certain S Miller esquire cleaned the section on his Ariel 500. No disrespect I just remember the event. 

Then we had Kickstart with Peter Purvis commentating. This caught the viewing public’s eye and gave a much needed boost to motorcycle sport. Grandstand did its bit in the 60’s with Scrambling and then M//X the Euro name for the same sport! So the manufacturers got going and needed to have bikes out in front and catching the buyers eye. Maybe a reason for some of the more stand out colours not just for the bikes but the riders too! A few months ago I spotted a guy with M/X Honda at a garage forecourt using the pressure washer. There was a bang and the bike suddenly dropped at the rear, the monoshock had collapsed, at least with a twin shock that doesn’t happen.

As an ex road and competition dealer I can vouch that some buyers, sponsors and riders gave the mono-shock models a wide arc as not yet trustworthy on the track.  Some monoshock designs don’t always mean lightweight design. ???I get in me bomb shelter now!?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, section swept said:

Well I remember a certain Don Smith riding a Works Kawasaki KT250 appearing on Blue Peter, he was going to ride over a Coke can without touching it WOW. He was treading on the edge of a “bunny hop!” no less. Erm I remember watching Don at a trial down in Devon area 1970’s one particular section was across a stream up the bank and then a steep climb further up a very narrow ridge. Many riders mad brave attempts but dabbed or fived, then along comes Don and hails to the observer “give us a five mate”. He then proceeded to sit astride his KT 250 and spectate whilst a certain S Miller esquire cleaned the section on his Ariel 500. No disrespect I just remember the event. 

Then we had Kickstart with Peter Purvis commentating. This caught the viewing public’s eye and gave a much needed boost to motorcycle sport. Grandstand did its bit in the 60’s with Scrambling and then M//X the Euro name for the same sport! So the manufacturers got going and needed to have bikes out in front and catching the buyers eye. Maybe a reason for some of the more stand out colours not just for the bikes but the riders too! A few months ago I spotted a guy with M/X Honda at a garage forecourt using the pressure washer. There was a bang and the bike suddenly dropped at the rear, the monoshock had collapsed, at least with a twin shock that doesn’t happen.

As an ex road and competition dealer I can vouch that some buyers, sponsors and riders gave the mono-shock models a wide arc as not yet trustworthy on the track.  Some monoshock designs don’t always mean lightweight design. ???I get in me bomb shelter now!?

S Miller Esq on an Ariel 500 in the 1970s? Are you sure?

• Like 3