Clutch rattle

danbillam

11 minutes ago, heffergm said:

Sounds like every trials bike clutch I've ever come across, although that might vary depending on your definition of 'loud'.

It’s louder than our betas, few shercos our mates ride and the few other vertigos I’ve seen whilst out 

Hi Dan, what year is the bike and roughly how many hours has the motor done? Vertigos are not unduly noisey from the clutch area, like say on a GG clutch, if the noise has become worse over time then either something has worn or come loose. Two areas to look at, the clutch centre bolt is an M5 like the GG, check this has not come loose. Behind the bolt is a machined washer, check the washer has not fractured from overtightening and "let go" The other possibility is the kickstart idle gear, this has a stub shaft that runs in a narrow needle roller, check this for play.

Bye, Peter B.

Thanks peter unfortunately my brother bought the bike second hand and is a 16 Ice hell. 

Although the bloke seemed genuine when he said he hadn’t rode it much and the bikes condition certainly backs this up.

i have really took notice but my brother has rode it maybe 4 or 5 times now and has said it made this noise since he got it although maybe a bit louder than before. Do you know what torque the centre bolt should be done too? 

I also noticed these have an adjustment on the clutch could this need flicking into the next position? Or would that not cause a rattle. 

Thanks 

Hi Dan, I don't have the torque figures with me at present. The centre bolt is only an M5 cap screw with a vent hole drilled through so should not be overly tightened as they can be sheared off. Do not use a ball end allen key here. When assembling this, use a very small dab of loctite blue on the threads. The clutch adjustment is a 3 position spring pressure plate, standard setting is on 1, if your clutch begins to slip in the higher gears under load, then go to position 2. This adjustment would not cause a rattle. Is the noise a definate rattle, like a GG clutch? or is it a different noise, like something clicking or catching.

Bye, Peter B.

On 12/24/2017 at 5:18 AM, danbillam said:

@peterb I’ve dropped the case off and all the torx bits around the basket are tight and the centre bolt is also tight.

but there is a slight amount of play on the whole basket which makes a similar sound when moved by hand to when riding.

78D56439-0C52-437B-A32C-F16A1339608D.jpeg

C7FE705A-8F8F-4532-B996-EAF64D897FDF.jpeg

Any updates on the noise?

We have two Vertigos, A 300 Camo and a 300 Ice hell, both 2017 models. My Camo has no clutch rattle and my son's Ice hell does (disappears as soon as you start to apply any pull on the leaver). His clutch action is also stiffer than my bikes and I suspect that the O rings for the clutch piston are sticking and the "clutch piston spring" isn't pushing/holding the piston against the "clutch release armes"(triangular plates) allowing them to rattle.  Check out page 25 & 28 for parts brake down. 

PARTS_BOOK_COMBAT_ICE_HELL_300cc_2017.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, p@ul250 said:

We have two Vertigos, A 300 Camo and a 300 Ice hell, both 2017 models. My Camo has no clutch rattle and my son's Ice hell does (disappears as soon as you start to apply any pull on the leaver). His clutch action is also stiffer than my bikes and I suspect that the O rings for the clutch piston are sticking and the "clutch piston spring" isn't pushing/holding the piston against the "clutch release armes"(triangular plates) allowing them to rattle.  Check out page 25 & 28 for parts brake down. 

PARTS_BOOK_COMBAT_ICE_HELL_300cc_2017.pdf

Do you think it would be worthwhile getting the spring and o rings from vertigo and seeing if that cures it