I've Just Bought a Fantic!

trapezeartist

The title says it: I've just become the proud owner of a Fantic 200 in really nice condition. So inevitably I have to start with a few questions to the worthy gentlemen of this forum.

What fuel/oil mix should I use?
What type of oil? I know brand is a personal preference, but fully synthetic, semi synthetic, mineral?
What oil, and how much in the gearbox?
Is there anywhere I can get a manual? Preferably a download.

No doubt there will be more but these answers would get me started. I'm hoping to do a first trial with it on the day after Boxing Day.

• Like 4

Recommended mix ratio in the day was 50:1 (as per the measure in the filler cap).  I would stick with that using a good semi-synthetic, no need for/benefit in using full synthetic.

Can't remember what I ran in the gearbox (probably ATF) but any modern trials gearbox oil should suffice. Can't remember the quantity either but it may have been on a plate on the casing though I recall there was a level plug anyway.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, alberto said:

unluckly there isn't Fantic 200

about mix i suggest a sint oil at 70/80:1

Yes. I've downloaded the 240 one to use as a rough guide. Even then, unfortunately it doesn't include the diagrams that are referenced throughout the text.

22 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Recommended mix ratio in the day was 50:1 (as per the measure in the filler cap).  I would stick with that using a good semi-synthetic, no need for/benefit in using full synthetic.

Can't remember what I ran in the gearbox (probably ATF) but any modern trials gearbox oil should suffice. Can't remember the quantity either but it may have been on a plate on the casing though I recall there was a level plug anyway.

70/80:1 fully synthetic. Or 50:1 semi synthetic. I might have guessed there would be conflicting advice :). The person I bought it from was using 70:1 synthetic, and even gave me half a can of oil. I think I might go for 63.5:1 (80ml to 5 litres).

I think there is a level plug for the gearbox, but I haven't found it yet. I would like to be sure I've found the right thing before taking it out, just in case it's something else important. I should be able to let a bit dribble out and identify ATF. If it's not ATF I suppose it will be guesswork.

Thanks a lot, grib. That's very helpful. Your 66:1 ties in with my preliminary plan to use 80ml to 5 litres so I'm happy I'm doing the right thing. Light gear oil or ATF? Hmm, it's all down to how the clutch feels I suppose. I don't know what I've got in there at the moment but I think ATF would be fairly obvious if I let a little drop out of the level plug.

The parts diagram and manual are really useful too.

I had atf in mine when I bought it, really bad cold clutch stick problems. Just to get it running I put 10 40 in, no more cold stick but I suspect the clutch wil slip (as it did on my last fantic).

Do let us know what works for you. Nice looking bike!

I seem to have slight cold stick but I can free it by rocking in gear. It's not nearly as extreme as my modern Beta. I also have difficulty finding neutral, but that's made worse by having the lever in a position where I can't brace my heel against anything. On the other hand, the clutch feel when slipping it around a tight turn is beautiful.

It's easier to reach down and select neutral with your left hand, watch at any classic trial and you'll see loads of Fantic riders doing the same thing.

I have used Castrol XR77 fully synthetic in all my Fantics (including 2 rear kicks 200's) at a ratio of 65 to 70:1 with no issues whatsoever. Opinions are like arseholes; everyone has one, and they usually stink so do whatever makes you feel happy.

Gear oil should be 1 litre and I would not use ATF as, like some have said, it produces a grabby clutch action. I have used Silkolene Light Gear Oil in all mine for years now and the clutch action is perfect. I am a bit of a "fart" when it comes to gear oil and old bikes so I change it after every trial. I might try to stretch that to every other trial in 2018 B) as times are hard.

There is a check screw on the right (brake) side of the engine which you can remove when you're changing the oil; fill approx 750ml straight in then to up slowly until it starts to weep from the check screw (bike should be upright not on the side stand).

Nice 200 by the way, you've paid a bit for that I'd wager! ;)

Can't see on your pic but has your bike had the "chain link clutch lightener" mod done? It really helps.

Edited by maggar

I've been used to using my hand to engage neutral on my previous bike. The Fantic just seems to go one step further and even by hand it just keeps going from 1st to 2nd to 1st to .... OK, it's not the biggest problem in the world so if I can't cure it I'll live with it.

I found out from the previous owner that the gearbox has 0W30 in it. That sounds a bit watery to me so I might go up to light gear oil.

I paid a fair bit for the bike but not so much that I feel ripped off. Anyway I can't reveal the sum in case my wife sees this thread. ;)

What is the "chain link clutch lightener" mod? There's no bit of chain anywhere in the system so I assume I haven't got it. Actually I find the clutch effort to be pretty good. One finger is a bit hard-going but two fingers is fine, and I don't think that reduces my control on the handlebars significantly.