Dell'Orto PHBL26BS gas needle valve replacement

drca

I think I need to change the gas needle valve on my Dell'Orto.  I have a couple of questions:

• What's the process to change it?  I tried to remove the pin that hold the lever that pushes on the gas needle to no avail...
  • What's the needle size? (apparently there are different sizes!)
  • Does anyone has a good source to get them?
  • How about a standard Dell'Orto rebuilt kit?

Thanks.

Edited by drca

2 hours ago, drca said:

I think I need to change the gas needle valve on my Dell'Orto.  I have a couple of questions:

• What's the process to change it?  I tried to remove the pin that hold the lever that pushes on the gas needle to no avail...
  • What's the needle size? (apparently there are different sizes!)
  • Does anyone has a good source to get them?
  • How about a standard Dell'Orto rebuilt kit?

Thanks.

drca, you're too vague, people need more info to help, what model GG do you have?

Surely you're not referring to removing the needle from the slide, if you are, take all the tension off the spring by disconnecting the cable up at the throttle/twist-grip.

Edited by fourex

There are two needle valves:

- one for adjusting gas flow attached to the floater

- the other for adjusting the air gas mixture attached to the slide which are you referring too.

None of them comes with a kit.

The named Dell'Orto seems to be from an air cooled mono model or later. Very important id which trilasbike here brand and model name and year has to be given is attached to the carb?

12 hours ago, oni nou said:

* Tap the pin with a punch or something just slightly smaller in diameter than the pin to knock it through then grab the bit protruding at the opposite post with a pair of pliers and with a twisting motion pull it out....remove the float lever arm/plate and the valve will just slide or drop out depending which way up the carb is.

* The needle size will be stamped on it [use a magnifying glass to read it easily]

* You can get them from www.splatshop.co.uk or www.dellorto.co.uk Eurocarb

* Rebuild kit that only includes o rings and gaskets and dust boot for the cable is available from the same places you get the valve as above also on Ebuy.

https://youtu.be/WWVMXLSS1cA

Thanks.

I'll check it out again, but when I looked last time I had it apart, I could not see a hole where to push the pin out (looked like the end of the pin was pushed in a blind hole, that's why I posted.

Anybody would know what the standard needle size it on the PHBL26BS for a 2013 GasGas TXT Pro 250?  I'd hate to have to take the carb apart just to get the needle size...

DC

22 hours ago, lineaway said:

By the way you never mentioned why you needed a new one.  

I've been having some carburation problems recently: rough running engine, inconsistent idle, stalling and hard to restart, running very rich on restart, running only on choke.... you name it...  It happened pretty suddently, so I cleaned the carb from top to bottom a couple of times (first time didn't help), checked the floats to make sure they didn't leak, checked for air leaks, put in new reeds, new air filter and it helped.

Part of my winter bike maintenance I plan to rebuild the carb with a new set of gaskets and changing the gas needle (or float valve...) is probably not a bad idea.

I was planning to do an upgrade to a Keihin PWK (I have a spare from another project)... so maybe that'll make it on the list for this winter.

I'll email Chris at SplatShop tomorrow and ask him to set a needle aside for me and put it in my next shipment.

DC

13 hours ago, lineaway said:

For the carb swap you need a new intake boot (reed side), throttle cable and air filter boot spacer. If you can`t make it run with the Del Orto you have other problems.  

It ran before with the DellOrto and is back to running ok right now.  Every winter I do a refresh of my bike (cheaper than getting a new one) so I'll just put a new set of gaskets and a new float needle valve this winter when do the refresh and it'll be good (I am getting a new bike next summer so...).

The Keihin was just that a few months ago I tried a Raga replica (same year as mine ( think) and it was much crisper at the bottom end than mine.  I am not sure if it was just better tuned, or the higher compression head or Keihin carb.  And since I have this spare PWK sitting on my bench that I got for really cheap for another project...

DC

The PHBH26 BS is a Mikuni VM clone and came out in 1987 this carb is very good to archive better performance you can switch to flat slide carbs.

What you might look at is the slide and how it looks, the slide of a Dell'Orto carb is made out of softer material then the carb body and cylinder so most wear happens to the slide and not the cylinder aka the carb body. Some wear of the slide can cause rattling of the slide thus not so good behavior of the bike.

If there is noticeable wear you might replace slide needle and needle jet and the engine should then run much smoother, at least that is my experience in that matter.

The gasoline valve is seldom a problem if just a couple of years old if there are not other issues like:

- bent rod,

- incorrect float hight,

- damaged rubber cone on the valve.