Boots for ankle support / Helmet

Sparta

Hi guys

I'm new to trials, and wondering about safety gear.. Boots are number 1 priority for me. Used to ride MX bike and broke my ankle in couple places. After long time thinking decided to go for trial bike- looks safer.. I checked so many reviews for trial boots, but most of them state how flexible and comfortable they are.. Almost bought SIDI trial boots, but when I checked them in store, ankle area didn't look very supportive, looked so so flexible compare to mx boots.

Maybe you can give me an advice from practice what boots give a bit more support for ankle? Or are they pretty much the same and every trial boot is so flexible?

Also, what disadvantage is from mx vs trial helmet? Knowing myself that I like to try stuff which is beyond my capabilities I am scared to loose front teeth:D

Thanks in advance!

Trial boots are flexible 'cause you need to be able to walk sections in them - my other half has been struggling on in MX boots but has now given up and ordered a pair of trials ones ... she also struggles with her MX helmet as it gets so hot, even on a cold day, that the inside of the helmet is dripping wet by lunchtime.

What the trials boots do give is good sideways stabbing protection - fall off a trials bike and you're more likely to get a part of the bike trying to pierce the boot than a big twist or crush like you would in higher speed pursuits.  Equally, people wear open face because you're just not that likely to take a hit to the front of your face, and having as much air as possible around your noggin is a distinct advantage.

If you want safety, the best route is to go in for twinshock trials - far more gentle on the joints as there's no jumping about!

Good luck :)

• Like 2

Thanks for advice!

Twinshock just doesn't look as much fun for me personally. But I got what you saying. There is no such a speed like mx so falling of the bike should not be as bad:) Good to know about helmet as I thought it's just for vision.. 

I just found on some other forum people talking about Alpinestars tech3 all terrain boots- good grip when walking etc...

To be honest I am just starting and for now it's more to go and have some fun in woods or quarry. Will not be doing mileage walking and studying sections, not in near future anyway.. I don't mind to struggle walking at all:D My biggest concern about mx boots on trials bike is possibility to ride it all together. I saw that trial boots sole is flat. That Aplinestars isn't completely flat, would I be still able to ride it normally? I mean foot peg can only be at very back / or middle-upwards because of uneven sole. And is trials boots ankle flexibility from side to side necessary compare to Alpinestars T3 for example? 

Sorry for so many questions, just want to make sure before buying online, there are not many shops locally for that sort of stuff.

Edited by Sparta

Alpinestars tech3 are going to be very restrictive by comparison to the Alpinestars tech-T's when doing trials... Even having fun in the woods on a trials bike I wouldn't go MX boots but that's my 2 cents.  

The issue with the boots isn't just walking its position on the bike, take a look at rider videos and watch the feet.  I flex my feet all over the place when I ride, you start going up and down big hills, logs, rocks etc. you will find out how quick the boots limit you if they are MX stile.  

Oh and fort trials boots that are a little stiffer I would think if you can find a pair of the Sidi Discovery Rain boots, they are trials boots that where stiffened up a bit for dual sport riding.  Should be about as good as you can get for a mix of support and trials ride/play.  And they should loosen up a bit over time to make it a little more fun as you get more advanced.  

• Like 2

Soft, flexible, pliable trials boots offer less protection than stiffer boots - especially when your foot slams into a stump or rock.  I have a pair of Garne Oiled boots, which are very soft and comfortable.  I also have a pair of Wulfsport trials boots, which are much stiffer, but less comfortable.  However, they do provide MUCH more foot and ankle protection.

Both pairs of boots are now four years old.  From memory the Garnes were double the price of the Wulfs.  

I have the sidi trial boots after a long time with gaerne.

I find the extra support much better in the sidi and they seem to be a lot more durable .

The sole is a lot thicker and means more support especially on a long trial.

not sure current price but where also a lot cheaper at the time 

I have had the same dilemma . I use to ride in MX boots when green laning and they offered great protection but were quite poor when footing or trying to push the bike. You could not really walk in them and on the long expedition/camping trips i could not wait to get them off. I then tried Army Goretex boots which were comfortable and flexible,great to wear and walk in and offered a little protection. I had a few minor falls and had some quite horrible calf and ankle injuries which put me off even doing a bit of gentle off roading. I have now purchased a trials bike to learn how to ride properly at the age of 56! I could not work out wether to go for an adventure style boot which would suit both my Suzuki DRZ 400 s and my Gas Gas TXT 250 pro. I will never do either of the disciplines competantly so wanted a compromise. If you are doing trials seriously you will need a trials boot with a flexible but less protective upper and a flat sole for easier positioning of the whole foot on the foot pegs. I went for the Forma boulder in the end which will suit both types of riding (gentle green laning they have enough protection and can be worn like hiking boots for the camping trips)  I would suggest the Wulfsport trials boot as they are a little stiffer than Gaerne/Sidi/Forma etc but tough and well made and a quality which exceeds their price. A good starter boot which has surprised many a trials rider.

• Like 1

The injuries were on my Harley Davidson MT350 162kg then loaded up with another 30kg of camping gear! and also on the Suzuki DRZ400s best part of 140kg. Both cases the bike landed on my lower leg. I don,t think you will have those sort of problems on low speed falls from a 65kg trials bike when you normally fall clear of the bike anyway. I would always suggest going for the best helmet and boots you can afford but as a casual non competitive rider i am not too hung up on brands.

Frenchy3 yes, learned my lesson to go for the best. But most expensive best brands doesn't mean best protection in that case. But I still love the look of SIDI :D 

Oni Nou - Thanks, good idea about ankle supports, never thought about that!

• Like 1

I think it is important that your ankle is really healed following your accident, give it a few extra months to fully knit back into place.   If you need to foot at any time, you can be sure that the rock you put your foot on will not be dead flat, so you need the ability to angle your foot to the contour of the rock.  

Walking the sections gives you a good idea of what is where, and where you need to run at any steep steps, or jump down from those steps.

• Like 1

Scifi, it should be well healed now- 3 years passed since accident.. I can do normal things like play tennis, do squats in the gym but it's deep in my mind, a feeling that ankle is weak especially when I still got metals in it :D 

I have used leather boots from many manufacturers, they all get soft and lose some protection, when saturated.

Sidi, being made of Lorica, don't seem to suffer from this. I initially found them a bit clumsy, but soon got used to them. Definitely the best protection I've experienced. (Incidentally, they are small, go up one size)

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 2

When I first tried trials, I wore my Sidi Discovery Rain boots which I had bought for Dual Sport and trail work.  I switched Gaerne and after a time, I just found they were too slipper like for my feet, lacking  protection and support.  I went with the new Alpinestars Tech T, after a year and a quarter with lots of riding.... I think they are a very good choice.  They have a better level of support and protection than Sidi and Gaerne.  Top price, but worth every Penny in my book.

• Like 1