2009 TXT 250 Pro noise *FIXED*

compactpete

Hi, just picked myself up a 2009 txt 250 in lovely condition. 

It does however have a really bad rattle / knock that you can hear at idle. It disappears when you pull the clutch in. You can also here it at slow speeds in low gears. It sounds rough as hell lol.

Please tell me it’s normal!

Edited by compactpete

I also have a 2009 TXT 250 Pro (Raga).  

I wouldn't worry too much if the noise disappears when you pull the clutch in, they all do that!.  However, if it does it all the time, check the Idler Gear as they can loose teeth from over exuberant kick starting!  (As can the 'Bart Simpson' Gear).

They are great bikes but not bullet proof!

As advised, check some other similar bikes out before pulling anything apart.  A gearbox oil change wouldn't do any harm and it would give you the chance to check the old oil for debris.

Hope this helps.  

Bruce.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, brucey said:

I also have a 2009 TXT 250 Pro (Raga).  

I wouldn't worry too much if the noise disappears when you pull the clutch in, they all do that!.  However, if it does it all the time, check the Idler Gear as they can loose teeth from over exuberant kick starting!  (As can the 'Bart Simpson' Gear).

They are great bikes but not bullet proof!

As advised, check some other similar bikes out before pulling anything apart.  A gearbox oil change wouldn't do any harm and it would give you the chance to check the old oil for debris.

Hope this helps.  

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce, much appreciated. I've done an oil change today, nothing unexpected there.

With the clutch in its pretty much silent, but when you pull away or feather the clutch at low speeds it make a lot of noise, almost a rythmic knock (like big end knock) but once past walking pace with the clutch out it disappears. Its fine under load in the higher gears so i don't think its crank related.

I'm not bothered even if it needs a rebuild as I got the bike at a very good price, I just like things to be right.

20 hours ago, oni nou said:

How the hell did you work out who I am and get on my Facebook page..... that's me done......nice detective work.....that's me around 1980..my hairs gone green now......the .Golden years........Marvellous.

Must say that I do like the old Eraserhead Avatar.... :)

On 1/1/2018 at 6:10 AM, compactpete said:

Thanks for the links, explains it well!

Last question then so I can put my mind at rest - Is it normal for the clutch basket to move in and out 1-2 mm?

I may be wrong, but I think if the center bolt is installed and properly tightened the clutch basket should not be moving in and out.

The bolt should be an allen head with a hole through the center of the bolt to allow oil to pass through.

Some run without the bolt.

13 minutes ago, zippy said:

I may be wrong, but I think if the center bolt is installed and properly tightened the clutch basket should not be moving in and out.

The bolt should be an allen head with a hole through the center of the bolt to allow oil to pass through.

Some run without the bolt.

Thanks, I've taken the clutch off and it's the whole shaft that moves in and out so the clutch is fixed firmly to the moving shaft, I'm assuming this is normal.

• Like 1