Ty mono clutch casing

jimyam

I'm after a plastic fuel tank. Prices seem to be going mental for the ty mono. I've missed two on Ebay because they've gone for TWICE what I thought they would.

Best bet in your case is probably buying a complete motor or basket case and having useful other spares.

Perhaps consider the following.

John Shirt and Nigel Birkett both used to get ignition flywheel casings cast for TY monos and the retail price was less than £25. Perhaps you could get a clutch case made. It would not be cheap but a good quality aluminium sandcast case should last a long time and would be weldable. Perhaps using TC or ebay a group of TY owners could get together and have a batch made. There are plenty of companies that can do one off or small batch casting and the TY case is simple to machine.

Another option would be to have one fabricated out of aluminium rod and sheet, if you have any interest in this option I can give further details how its done.

I am well aware the ignition flywheel cover is less complex that the clutch cover, that is not the point. If jimyam contacts Birks or JS they would probably tell him where they got the castings done and he could get a clutch casing priced. I do not know the price of a new OEM TY casing but I assume it is similar to a TYZ clutch case which was £400 plus before the recent fall in the £. 

A fabricated cover may not look quite right but it would do the job and be tougher / more repairable than the original, price would probably be around £300.

An alternative would be to glue (JB weld) his case together then assuming it fits, get it measured on a CMM and then machined from billet. Considering you can get an 18 inch car wheel machined from billet for under £1000 then a much smaller item like a clutch casing might be a price jimyam considers acceptable. 

A machine shop I used to use machined items of similar size and complexity to a clutch casing for £60 to £90 (in 316 stainless or P20) On top of that you would have to add a programming charge of about £60, a tooling up cost of about £60, the billet cost and the CMM charge.

22 hours ago, dadof2 said:

I am well aware the ignition flywheel cover is less complex that the clutch cover, that is not the point. If jimyam contacts Birks or JS they would probably tell him where they got the castings done and he could get a clutch casing priced. I do not know the price of a new OEM TY casing but I assume it is similar to a TYZ clutch case which was £400 plus before the recent fall in the £. 

A fabricated cover may not look quite right but it would do the job and be tougher / more repairable than the original, price would probably be around £300.

An alternative would be to glue (JB weld) his case together then assuming it fits, get it measured on a CMM and then machined from billet. Considering you can get an 18 inch car wheel machined from billet for under £1000 then a much smaller item like a clutch casing might be a price jimyam considers acceptable. 

A machine shop I used to use machined items of similar size and complexity to a clutch casing for £60 to £90 (in 316 stainless or P20) On top of that you would have to add a programming charge of about £60, a tooling up cost of about £60, the billet cost and the CMM charge.

I was a machinist and mechanic by trade. I still have a lathe, a vertical mill, a shaper and a T&CG in my workshop here.

So, what's P20?

P20 is a tough steel that machines to a good finish and is hardwearing. The machine shop I am familiar with use it for injection moulding dies. Its advantage over other tool steels is that it does not have to be heat treated after machining.

No way am I suggesting making a case from P20 (it would be totally unsuitable), I just mentioned it because it has similar machining properties (in some ways) and costs to a tough grade of aluminium billet that would be suitable for a case.

From a strength point of view (without looking up exact values) P20 is similar to EN24T except it is much easier to get a good finish when machining than it is with the higher EN number steels. 

I was boring some bright drawn steel a few days ago, what a pile of s--t, variable hardness and a finish like a bear's a--e as they say.

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:34 AM, oni nou said:

An Enfield man eh ...................Royal?

I like anything old.

Brit, HD, Guzzi, older Ducati's, air head BMW's, anything that was designed on a drawing board with a sharp pencil and machined on manual machines with jigs and fixtures.

So, no CAD, CAM, CNC bollox. Or in other words anything modern. I have yet to own a water cooled bike. I've owned 2 FI Guzzi's, everything else in 41 years of riding and owning motorcycles has been carb'd.

Trials bikes - bit of a newbie; Montesa Cota and my ty Monos. Would'nt mind a late Bultaco...