Cabestany to Beta

Andy

36 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

That simply isnt true at the top level at all. Shercos and betas had real problems with their clutches which is why you saw specials. Yes bou would win on most current bikes but the exceptional build of his very light one off special helps no end.

I don't share your opinion.

Dabill on Bou's bike still finishes where he always has. The Montesa isn't a magic bullet. If it were Fuji would always be second.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, heffergm said:

The only thing that makes one trials bike 'better' than another is the guy riding it. Trials is basically the only motor sport where the bike is such a small part of the equation as to be nearly irrelevant (assuming we're talking about modern bikes... obviously what's now vintage went through a long evolution to get us here).

Yes, and no.  The rider was the real difference even back in the heyday of the 70's.  Bikes could be different but not necessarily better or worse.

4 minutes ago, 2stroke4stroke said:

Yes, and no.  The rider was the real difference even back in the heyday of the 70's.  Bikes could be different but not necessarily better or worse.

I don't disagree. My point, regarding vintage,  was just that there could be bigger gaps in performance among various machines. 

4 minutes ago, heffergm said:

I don't disagree. My point, regarding vintage,  was just that there could be bigger gaps in performance among various machines. 

Not really.  Some did have markedly different characteristics, which either suited a rider or did not, but I would say from recollection that, broadly speaking, they all developed at a similar rate pre monoshock. What buyers perceived as better is another matter as I doubt anyone could have forecast what the next year's big seller was going to be.

20 hours ago, ironbelly said:

Would have liked Cabes to take the vacant Montesa ride(Busto's Bike)

it's great when riders change Bikes, freshens the whole sport, Beta is a fantastic bike, and in the hands of Cabestany the motivation might give him that little push to stay on the podium throughout the year, he should be added to the indoor series too.

I know what you mean. Cabs is a great rider, so stylish, but ultimately dibs knocked him off the last automatic place on his better finish in trial gp and deserves to be there. I'm pretty sure that whilst there's little in the bikes know the new motivation from a change will see him back up there in the top 5 at the end of the year

2 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

That simply isnt true at the top level at all. Shercos and betas had real problems with their clutches which is why you saw specials. Yes bou would win on most current bikes but the exceptional build of his very light one off special helps no end.

As we all agree the biggest 'one off' is bou himself. He'd probably win another title on at least 3 or 4 other brands, he's just that good. 

As for the others changing around, unless it's 4 back to 2 stroke or the other way round, there's so little between the bikes now. And I would have thought that if a manufacturer signs a rider like cabs or dibs and they don't gel straight away, they can soon alter the power delivery, clutch, even maybe tweak the geometry to suit. 

Lets face it, any rider between maybe no 4-12 in the rankings is probably just happy with a paid ride these days!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

So we're 100% youre saying on a standard 4rt bou would win just as much?

To be fair I don't think he's saying that.

I don't think anyone else would argue that if you took the top lads and threw them all on the same bike bou would still cream them. No one is fitter, more focused and more dedicated to his trade than him

• Like 1

If you stuck bou on a bog standard 300rr and let him set the suspension up to how he wanted he would still win ,no question , the factory repsols are so special because they can be , not because they need to be ,anyone else think cabestanys unveiling vid where he took the Sherco gear off with the beta stuff on underneath was abit ‘up yours’ sherco?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nigel dabster said:

So we're 100% youre saying on a standard 4rt bou would win just as much?

I'm saying that if Bou was put on a bog standard 4rt with modifications equivalent to all the other bikes run by the Pros (they all run the same top flight Tech forks for instance), yes, he'd still crush everybody.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1