New purchase ,old bike and rider

potto

1 hour ago, collyolly said:

Are they the correct rear shocks with regard to length ? The rear wheel looks a long way down from the mudguard, somethings not right there I think.

Bike is up on stand so no load on rear shocks,correct shocks,old ones were incorrect as they were only 320 long,besides I'am tall so it suits me.

I'm fairly sure that 320/325mm is correct for your model 349. Don't forget that there was 4 x Cota 349 models over the years, they were all a little different from their predecessors

Got to be careful when googling specs that your looking at relevant specs for your model. White wonder and 349/4(350 & MH349) are both very different from each other which in turn also makes them very different from your earlier fibre glass red tank version.

• Like 2

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, collyolly said:

Are they the correct rear shocks with regard to length ? The rear wheel looks a long way down from the mudguard, somethings not right there I think.

All good checked on that ,old shocks were infact 320mm ,swingarm has been chopped @ some stage,you are correct my bike is a like high....appears around 5mm more that factory manual,honestly not worried.

Stripped old paint and rust off front pipe and painted with VHT flat black 1300 degree exhaust paint.

Did a burnout on the rear muffler cause it was heavy and dropping lumps of carbon everywhere,results were great it smoked like a bugger for 20mins and then came clear...my hillbilly setup;

P1010337.JPG

P1010336.JPG

On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:57 AM, collyolly said:
1 minute ago, potto said:

All good checked on that ,old shocks were infact 320mm ,swingarm has been chopped @ some stage,you are correct my bike is a like high....appears around 5mm more that factory manual,honestly not worried.

Stripped old paint and rust off front pipe and painted with VHT flat black 1300 degree exhaust paint.

Did a burnout on the rear muffler cause it was heavy and dropping lumps of carbon everywhere,results were great it smoked like a bugger for 20mins and then came clear...my hillbilly setup;

P1010337.JPG

P1010336.JPG

• Like 1

Then I had a rethink and decided what I thought was just an expantion area in the front pipe appears to be a primary muffler which I'am sure will be full of crap like the rear muffler....don't know but I might burn it out also.

The rear muffler still has rust in in but know that won't burn out so it stays,the method I used for the rear muffler is really good so hoping similar results.

Put an order into InMotion but had to limit it due to brutal shipping rates and of course Kiwi $ to UK pounds is another issue.

5 hours ago, potto said:

Then I had a rethink and decided what I thought was just an expantion area in the front pipe appears to be a primary muffler which I'am sure will be full of crap like the rear muffler....don't know but I might burn it out also.

The rear muffler still has rust in in but know that won't burn out so it stays,the method I used for the rear muffler is really good so hoping similar results.

Put an order into InMotion but had to limit it due to brutal shipping rates and of course Kiwi $ to UK pounds is another issue.

Well the way this it is going I should have made this a restoration topic because that's the way its heading...not a shiny showroom job but a nice tidy well setup bike which I'am really enjoying.

I'm taking the day off the bike tomorrow to work on the Porsche,recieved a shipment of parts Friday from the states to improve my ignition problem ,which should be the solution,a pic for those interested,by the way parts for these cars are way more expensive than any Montesa part.

P1010329 (1).JPG

• Like 3

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 8:42 PM, potto said:

Well the way this it is going I should have made this a restoration topic because that's the way its heading...not a shiny showroom job but a nice tidy well setup bike which I'am really enjoying.

I'm taking the day off the bike tomorrow to work on the Porsche,recieved a shipment of parts Friday from the states to improve my ignition problem ,which should be the solution,a pic for those interested,by the way parts for these cars are way more expensive than any Montesa part.

P1010329 (1).JPG

Well Porsche is sorted,more power from the 6 cyl and better idle...easy fix,not so for weather a few days on ,we had a ex-cyclone came via Australia,my boatshed was flooded and had saltwater 2m from my porch ,expected tide was 4.5m add 1.5m swell push to that and things weren't great,next doors had 500mm saltwater through their sleepout on the foreshore they lost everything.

Our coastal entrance road was totally trashed so I have had to use an inland route to use on a local friends property,my boat got swapped (underwater) on my launching ramp but not to worried as many off worse than me.

We had massive damage on the other side of the bay from me,my insurance company is swamped but hope to get all sorted soon.

6 hours ago, potto said:

Well Porsche is sorted,more power from the 6 cyl and better idle...easy fix,not so for weather a few days on ,we had a ex-cyclone came via Australia,my boatshed was flooded and had saltwater 2m from my porch ,expected tide was 4.5m add 1.5m swell push to that and things weren't great,next doors had 500mm saltwater through their sleepout on the foreshore they lost everything.

Our coastal entrance road was totally trashed so I have had to use an inland route to use on a local friends property,my boat got swapped (underwater) on my launching ramp but not to worried as many off worse than me.

We had massive damage on the other side of the bay from me,my insurance company is swamped but hope to get all sorted soon.

Yuk

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, feetupfun said:

Yuk

Yuk and double yuk ok,insurance company aren't answering my calls/email think they are swamped....a bit like my boat :(:(.

I suspect my 4 stroke Honda is now a total loss,least its not the house Porsche or my bike.

Remove swingarm today to sort previous cock-ups done in the past,its a real mess as is the frame.

P1010342.JPG

More crap stuff....top frame cracked so some monkey put a thick wall pipe sleeve over it,other pic is cracks around the upper steering head tubes.

The swingarm is totally out of square and mods done are shocking....will be busy tomorrow :huh:.

P1010343.JPG

P1010345.JPG

P1010343.JPG

P1010344.JPG

• Like 1

The front box is indeed a silencer and, like the rear one, will need to be repacked once you have done the burning.  This means cutting a flap in the back of it then welding up again.  I did this with my 348 all those years ago and it made a big difference to the running of the motor - smoother bottom end meaning I could pull a higher gear in marginal conditions.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, potto said:

Remove swingarm today to sort previous cock-ups done in the past,its a real mess as is the frame.

Welcome to my world. Currently working through the power unit, surprisingly only a few "modifications" to correct. My exhaust system still to be tackled, good hints above for me.